Ask Joe

Frequently Asked Questions
Remote/Virtual Learning at Mt. SAC
(updated 1/20/20)

How to Search this site

We cover a lot of topics in this page. If you're browsing this page on a desktop computer, click Ctrl+F or ⌘+F and type keywords you are searching for. If you are browsing on your smartphone, you should see an option to "Find in phone" and type keywords you are searching for.

New Students

  • To register for classes, follow the following steps:
  • Apply to Mt. SAC through CCCApply – see the Admissions website
  • After you apply, look for our email instructing you how to sign up for your student account and how to access the portal
  • Complete the online Assessment Questionnaire (it is NOT a test) online – see the Assessment website
  • Complete online New Student Orientation, through the Counseling department – see the Counseling website
  • Get an Ed Plan -- Sign up for a MAP Workshop through Counseling to plan your class schedule -- see the Counseling website

Winter 2021

  • Winter Intersession is Jan 4 - Feb 14
  • Registration for winter begins November 4, 2020.
  • Class schedule and class search is available online at:
  • See Key Dates here
  • Almost all classes will be fully online (either synchronous or asynchronous) for Winter.
  • Our Laptop Loans Program remains open.
  • Click here to see the FINAL EXAM schedule overview. Be sure to double check with each instructor as to the day/time and conditions and specific details for your final exam.
  • Lab equipment returns are by appointment. If you missed the appointment, please contact your instructor or Division Dean.
  • Students may drop a course and receive an “EW”:
    • For short-term (8-week courses), the last day to drop with an “EW” is the last day of instruction
    • Please see your Student Schedule/Receipt (portal #11)
  • Pass/No Pass  Deadlines: (scroll down for more info)
    • The deadline for short-term classes: two days after grades are posted
    • Please see your Student Schedule/Receipt (portal #11)

Spring 2021

  • Spring Registration Begins – Jan 13th
  • 1st Day of Spring Semester – Feb 22nd
  • The majority of classes will be offered online – either synchronous (specified dates/times) or asynchronous (fully web-based)
  • Students may drop a course and receive an “EW”:
    • For short-term (8-week courses), the last day to drop with an “EW” is the last day of instruction
    • For full-term (16-week courses), the last day to drop with an “EW” is TBA, please see your Student Schedule/Receipt (portal #11)
  • Pass/No Pass  Deadlines: (scroll down for more info)
    • The deadline date for full term (16-week classes) is TBA, please see your Student Schedule/Receipt (Portal #11)
    • The deadline for short-term classes: two days after grades are posted

Key Departments to Contact

  • Contact Admissions and Records for any questions about when you register, how to register - (909) 274-4415 or email at:
  • Contact Counseling for any questions about which classes to take - (909) 274-4380 or email at:
  • Contact Financial Aid for questions about grants and fee waivers – (909) 274-4450 or email at:

Course Enrollment Questions:

Are ALL classes now online at Mt. SAC? What about Winter?

  • Almost all classes will be online for Winter.  There are only a few exceptions for specific training programs (health/science occupations and construction-based programs). 
  • Students will use Canvas to access their online classes.  Some classes have specific days and times but are still conducted in a remote learning environment.  Students must log on to take these classes at the specific days and times listed for the course.  If the class is 100% online/web-based, students will access Canvas to learn about course requirements, assignments, exams, grading policies.

My classes are online, but can I still come to campus to study?

  • Unfortunately, no. All offices and programs are closed by order of the Governor and the County of Los Angeles. This includes the library and computer labs. If we get permission to re-open the campus, we will make study and computer labs available to students. We just don’t know when that will happen.
  • Good news is Tutoring and Library is open with a wide variety of services. For those who study late, Tutors are available then too! 

I’m not sure whether to continue to take online classes … I haven’t done very well in them.  I’m afraid of getting bad grades or losing my financial aid.

  • Talk to us! Counselors are available!! You can call, chat IM, video - make an appointment with your preferred method.
  • We know it is difficult and confusing. Speak with a counselor in the Counseling Center or a specialist/advisor in Financial Aid.
  • We encourage students to take at least 1-2 courses.
  • There is help available in taking online courses!

The Classes I Want Are Full. What Do I Do Now? Don’t Give Up. Here are some actions you can take to get that class you need.

  1. Wait List: 
  •  The wait list feature allows students to add their name to a list of students waiting to enroll in a full or closed class before classes begin.
  • There are limited number of waitlist slots per class section.
  • Being on a Wait List DOES NOT enroll students in a class.
  •  Once you are on the wait list you will be notified via your Mt. SAC email account when an opening is available and given 72 hours to enroll in the course. After that time limit expires, you will be removed from the Wait List. Check your portal daily for your status. You can find further information regarding the Wait List in the current online Class Schedule.
  • If the Wait List is full, you must go to the class to try to obtain an add code.

2. Adding a Closed/Full Class:

  • To add the class, you must attend the first class meeting and obtain an Add Authorization Code from the instructor.
  • Please note: students on wait lists will be added before walk-in students. Being on a wait list does not guarantee you will be given an Add Authorization Code. You must attend the first class meeting.
  • For online classes, you should communicate with the instructor through email.
  • Your instructor will ask you for your Mt. SAC registration appointment printout of your assigned date and time, along with a picture ID.
  • You must be eligible (have the appropriate prerequisite) for the class. If the course has a required prerequisite, obtain a
    Proof of Eligibility Form from the appropriate Division Office or Admissions and Records prior to attending the class you wish to add. Prerequisites will be checked by the system at the time you register for the class. If you are blocked from registering for a class and believe that you do possess the appropriate prerequisite, or if you have a question regarding the prerequisite, call Admissions (909) 274- 4415 for assistance.
  • If you receive an Add Authorization Code from the instructor (note the expiration date), add the class online from your
    portal #4 Add/Drop Class.

3. Dropping a Class:

  • Drop classes online in your portal, Student Self Service #4 Add/Drop Class. Verify your drops by printing your #11
  • See your Schedule/Receipt for important deadlines related to dropping classes, refunds, grading options.
  • Don’t forget to drop the classes you don’t want/need. Not dropping can leave you with an “F” grade or owing money.

I’m not sure whether to drop a class or not … who should I talk to?

  • Grading Option: EWs are also possible for Winter Intersession 2021.  The deadline varies by class to file for an “Excused Withdrawal."  For short-term (8-week courses), the deadline is the last day of instruction.
  • Students receiving federal financial aid will not be penalized for dropping classes in Spring 2020 or Summer 2020 or for classes that were canceled. Any questions, contact Financial Aid: Financial Aid
  • Veterans/Dependents receiving GI Bill© Benefits should speak with a VRC Counselor – click here for assistance to meet with a VRC Counselor
  • Click here for assistance to meet with a Counselor: general counseling
  • You can directly email counselors at this location:

Grading Options: How does Pass/No Pass work?

  • Students are able to change their grading options from receiving a letter grade (A, B, C, D, F) to receiving either a P (Pass) or NP (No Pass)
  • The date to choose Pass/No Pass (P/NP) as a grading option for eligible classes has been extended to 5 p.m., Thursday, Dec. 17 for regular 16-week classes. (Fall Semester 2020)
  • Students can choose their grading option by signing into the Mt. SAC Portal, clicking on the Student tab, and then choosing “Change Class Grading Option.” Only eligible classes will allow students to change from “Letter Grade” to “Pass/No Pass.”
  • Choosing Pass/No Pass may have implications for students.
  • Students transferring to the University of California should take caution in using this option and meet with a counselor or a transfer specialist in the Transfer Center.
  • Students transferring to the California State University, should note the P/NP grading option is acceptable for the Fall 2020 term.
  • Students receiving Financial Aid should be aware the NP option affects their completion rate for Satisfactory Academic Progress, but doesn’t impact their GPA.
  • For Veterans, an NP may be a better option than the EW, because it shows that the student completed the course. All GI Bill students should speak with a Veterans Resource Center counselor for advisement.
  • Students should discuss the P/NP grading options with a counselor to make sure they are making the best decision based on their major and transfer goals. To make an appointment call (909) 274-4380, or for Online Counseling (email or video counseling). 
  • The following are courses that prohibit P/NP grades:

    Business Division Courses Requiring a Letter Grade Paralegal: All PLGL courses
    Business Law: All BUSL courses
    Child Development: All CHLD courses BUSA 58

  •  If the course is eligible for P/NP, there will be a link on the registration page in the portal for the students to select.

  • Grading Option: EWs were also possible for Fall Semester 2020.  The deadline varies by class to file for an “Excused Withdrawal."
    • For full-term (16-week courses) the deadline is December 6, 2020 - 5pm. 
    • For short-term (8-week courses), the deadline is the last day of instruction.

  • COURSE REPEATABILITY: Due to COVID-19, students who receive a D, F or NP will have their grades marked as DV, FV and NPV. The “V” stands for virus to note the unique conditions created during the pandemic. Students who receive those grades this fall, will be able to repeat the course without the unsuccessful attempt counting against the total number of maximum allowable repeats for the particular course.


How do I get my refund? How do I get my financial aid money?

  • Students who withdraw from a class for which they paid enrollment fees, will have those fees automatically refunded. Refunds will be sent to students through their BankMobile accounts. If you have not set up your BankMobile account, go to the Cashier’s Office website for more directions.
  • Here is a brochure describing the process: Refund Brochure
  • You can use your BankMobile card to retrieve funds from almost all fee-free Allpoint® ATMs If you want the funds to go to your own bank account, you will arrange that through the BankMobile site

TRANSPORATION FEE/Foothill Transit Class Pass

  • Mt SAC students will be able to ride Foothill Transit buses for free through Spring 2021 by showing their Mt. SAC student ID cards. No TAP sticker is required.
    Get Student Photo IDs at bookstore Jan 11-15 (9am-3pm)


I don’t know how to get on Canvas / I need help with Canvas. I need help with Zoom.

I don’t have a computer or WiFi. How can I complete my courses?

  • Need a laptop and/or Wi-Fi access? Our Laptop Loans Program is now open.  The last day to apply has been extended until further notice.
    • Students can sign up to receive a loaner laptop and mifi (wi-fi access).  This is a drive through process for students who have a car.  Other students can walk up to the distribution site. 
    • After signing up for a day/time appointment, students will be notified of the location to pick up the laptop and mifi.
      • Laptop Loan distribution appointment dates will be announced. (Hybrid means returning and distribution of laptops):
        More dates to come.
    • Students are to return the equipment if they are no longer enrolled.


  • Students should immediately apply for Financial Aid.  Staff are available to help you to apply!  Just call:  (909) 274-4450 or email them at:
  • It's actually not too late to apply, even if the school year has begun.
  • You can check the status of your financial aid on your Mt. SAC student portal and submit any required documents electronically. If you have general questions or need assistance, please email
  • Financial aid funds are deposited to students’ BankMobile accounts, unless other arrangements have been made.
  • You can use your BankMobile card to retrieve funds from almost all fee-free Allpoint® ATMs If you want the funds to go to your own bank account, you will arrange that through the BankMobile site


Is the Bookstore closed? How do I get my books?

  • The Bookstore will be open to return Textbook Rentals in-person December 7-11, 2020 from 9am to 3pm. You can also return textbook rentails via UPS for a $5 charge at the UPS store by December 14.
  • Students can also order books online. The Bookstore will mail you the books within 24 hours. If an order is not complete when shipped, students will receive an email. Students will also receive a confirmation email when shipped. The following links will help you to understand how to order your books.
  • Contact the bookstore via email for any questions - 
  • How to find required reading materials for your course.
  • SAC BOOK RAC site.

How do I get a refund for a book?

  • At this time, there is no specific process for a book refund. Requests are being approved on a case by case basis  by emailing the Director of the Bookstore.: However, once approved, the process to actually receive the refund is still pending. Students who are approved for a refund must keep their book and paperwork until the campus is open to receive the book. At that point in time, the refund will be processed.

Student ID Cards

How do I get my Student ID Card?

The Sac Book Rac, Mt. SAC’s bookstore provides these. Please reach out to them via email:

REQUIREMENTS: Students must bring a print out/screenshot of their class registration that shows they have paid all fees for the Fall 2020 Semester. Students must wear a face mask. When they take their picture, they can temporarily remove the mask.

Textbook and supply purchases are available online at
For more information, email:

Graduation and Transfer

I graduated this past Spring 2020 or Summer 2020, how do I get my diploma?

  • Once it has been verified that you have completed all course requirements, your degree will be posted to your transcript and the diploma will be mailed to you (based on the address you provided).

I didn’t attend the Drive Thru Commencement Ceremony, how do I get a diploma cover?  I received more than one Associate Degree.  How do I get an additional cover?


Transfer Information

I am admitted for Fall 2020, what happens if I drop or do not pass a class that is required to transfer?

  • We strongly encourage you to speak with a counselor to discuss your situation. 

I am admitted for Fall 2020, what do I need to do next?

  • Check your email, campus portals, and to do lists frequently for next steps. Be sure to meet deadlines for submitting transcripts and accepting admission/paying your enrollment deposit. Contact the Transfer Center if you need any assistance with these steps.

How can I get assistance with other questions and future applications?

  • The Transfer Center staff is available to assist you by phone, email, Zoom appointment, online workshops, and drop-in during Virtual Transfer Center hours. Contact the Transfer Center
  • Current students can order official/unofficial transcripts through the My Mt. SAC Portal.
  • Former students without access to the My Mt. SAC Portal can request official transcripts by using Credentials Solutions.

Support for Students


Will there still be food pantries?

What other support services are available?

  • Mt. SAC has many support services available – if you know the specific program you are looking for, see Student Services Directory
  • If you want to speak with a counselor, click here
  • If you want to learn about all of the various support programs and resources during the campus closure, see Thrive Online Resources.

Student Specific Services


What do I need to know if I'm a student (Veteran/Dependent/Active Duty) using GI Bill© Benefits?

  • Student Veterans who remain enrolled at Mt. SAC will continue to receive their eligible GI Bill benefits this spring under recent legislation which President Trump signed into law on March 21st.The law enables the VA to continue providing the same level of education benefits to students having to take courses online due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak and gives the VA temporary authority to continue GI Bill payments uninterrupted in the event of national emergencies. This allows for continued payment of benefits even if the program has changed from resident training to online training. All classes marked as "Transitioned Online" will be processed as residential given the section was planned as on-campus but changed from resident training to online training due to Covid-19. GI Bill students will continue receiving the same monthly housing allowance (MHA) payments they received for resident training until Dec. 21, 2020 or until the school resumes in-person classes as long as they are enrolled in at least one course marked as "Transitioned Online".
  • If you have questions about your specific circumstance(s), ), please contact a VRC staff member at 909-274-4520 or please email the Mt. SAC VRC at Students may also contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, Education Call Center at: 1-888-442-4551 between 8am and 7pm (EST) Monday-Friday.
  • If you are directly affected by the COVID-19 (CORONA VIRUS), have a VBA benefit debt and need temporary financial relief, please contact the VA's Debt Management Center at 1-800-827-0648 to request assistance.


I am a Foster Youth attending Mt. SAC and would like to know the status of my Chafee grant.

  • The Chafee grant is processed by the REACH program at Mt. SAC. It is a check given to eligible students twice per year in the Fall and Spring semesters. The Chafee Grant will not appear under your Financial Aid tab in your Mt. SAC portal, therefore to find out the status of the award or if you are eligible for it you may visit or you can also contact the REACH office. You may contact the REACH program by using one of the following:
  • REACH Text hotline 909-529-1214
  • REACH Web Form:
  • Email Jeze Lopez:


I am an F-1 International Student. Can I go back to my home country?

  • You may go back to your home country during this spring semester.  You can remain actively enrolled in online classes or you can drop all your classes and your I-20 will be terminated.  You will need to complete the I-20 TRAVEL REQUEST FORM  Your signed I-20 will be returned to you if you intend to return to the U.S. and you have attended classes.  As long as  you are making normal progress towards your degree in your home country, you will be allowed back in the U.S.  You do not need to get a signature before you leave.  We need you to complete the online travel signature form so that we know you are returning home and we will mail you a signed travel I-20 to your home country. 

Health and Mental Health

What if I don’t feel well? Can I still go to the Health Center?

  • Student Health Services is here for you! Although the health clinics are not open to see students, please contact them for any questions or concerns about your physical health and your emotional health. You can call them directly at 909-274-4400. There are nurses and mental health professionals available to talk to you. If you have your own doctor and medical plan, please contact them immediately if you do not feel well – especially if you have a high fever and feel exhausted with difficulty breathing. If you do not have a medical provider, please contact the Student Health Center so that we can provide immediate assistance.
  • Mountie Health News & You newsletter - Physical Distance is NOT Social Distance

We care about you! Please let us know if we can be of support in any way. Here are additional resources:

Crisis Information Lines

Locate all other help lines

Mt. SAC Basic Needs


ACCESS Students

Frequently Asked Questions

What is ACCESS?

  • ACCESS (Accessibility Resource Centers for Students) is a special program to assist students with disabilities to succeed in an academic environment. Specialized services are available to support students in reaching their goals.

How do I become an ACCESS student?

  • After applying to Mt. SAC and obtaining your username, password and student ID#, use that same information to log into the MyACCESS account and submit an online application for services. Documentation of a verified disability is also required. See Steps to Become an ACCESS StudentAn appointment with a counselor is required to officially establish services (AQ and Orientation completion required).

How do I receive priority registration?

  • Priority registration is a service we provide to students who are current and remain active with our program.

Can I see a counselor to fill out my accommodations?

  • Yes, but it is not required. If you are an established student and in good standing with ACCESS, you can bypass seeing a counselor and just fill out your Request for Classroom Accommodations and email to If you believe you need an additional accommodation that you are not approved for or are having issues in class, please request an appointment with an ACCESS counselor by calling (909) 274-4290 or emailing

How do I request accommodations for my class?

  • Due to operational changes associated with COVID-19 and the transition to temporary remote instruction, ACCESS is requesting that students provide their professor with their personalized list of counselor approved accommodation(s).
  • This can be found by logging in to your MyACCESS Student Login using your same Username and Password for your Mt. SAC Student Portal.  This link is also available by visiting
  • For any additional questions or guidance, please contact ACCESS by emailing or by calling 909-274-4290.

Can you email my accommodations to my professor?

  • Please provide your professor with a copy of your approved accommodations. You may access this by logging into your MyACCESS Student Login using your same Username and Password for your Mt. SAC Student Portal.  This link is also available by visiting
  • If you need assistance, please contact ACCESS by emailing or by calling 909-274-4290.
Can I get a copy of my accommodations?

  • You can also view them on your MyACCESS account. Log in, select My Services Overview, select Academic Accommodation Plan (AAP).
  • If you need assistance, please contact ACCESS by emailing or by calling 909-274-4290.

Can I see a counselor to fill out my accommodations?

  • Yes, but it is not required. If you are an established student and in good standing with ACCESS, you can bypass seeing a counselor and just provide your professor with a copy of your counselor approved accommodation(s) list.
  • This can be found by logging in to your MyACCESS Student Login using your same Username and Password for your Mt. SAC Student Portal.  This link is also available by visiting
  • To make a counseling appointment or for any additional questions or guidance, please contact ACCESS by emailing or by calling 909-274-4290.

What if I don't have a doctor to fill out the Medical/Psychological form?

  • We can accept verifying documents from other sources. Please contact ACCESS for assistance. Email:

What services can I receive from ACCESS?

  • Accommodations are approved specifically to address students' disability- related needs. Some examples of accommodations we provide include extra time on tests, distraction-reduced environment for tests, notetaker in the classroom, tram service, and audio recording of lectures. Aside from accommodations, we also have counseling services, an Accessible Technology Center that provides tutoring for major subjects (i.e. English, Math), priority registration, testing rooms, and a Center for Deaf and Hard of Hearing students.

Can I be tested here for a learning disability?

  • We are suspending LD testing for spring 2020 as we can’t administer face to face tests.

Can I see an ACCESS counselor even though I don't have verification?

  • Please contact ACCESS for assistance (Email:

What's going on at the college? How long will it be closed? What about my classes?

  • Information is being provided by the college and changes on a frequent basis. Please log into your portal and closely monitor the Alerts going out campus wide. Or you can go to Stay connected and informed by either of these methods. See also Thrive Online

Admissions & Records – FAQs

How will the EW affect me when I transfer to other colleges? Will it affect me negatively

  • Your EW will not affect you negatively. It does not affect your GPA, your ability to repeat the course or your progress probation calculation.

If my class was cancelled how do I get a refund? Do I need to get an EW in order to get a refund?

  • You must receive an EW to get your refund. Students who dropped SPRING 2020 courses with a “W” mark will eventually have that mark converted to an EW prior to the end of the term. Most refunds will be processed via your BankMobile account. Please make sure you have it set up in your portal your preferred refund option. There are multiple options including having a check mailed to you.

I accidentally withdrew from a class. How quickly can I be re-added to continue the class?

  • Please fill out the reinstatement form located on the Admissions and Records webpage under publications and forms. Please make sure that you contact your professor to fill it out as well. Please email the form as soon as possible to the admissions email In the subject line please put Reinstatement Form so it can be directed to the appropriate person in Admissions. Please maintain contact with your professor while the form is being processed so that you don't get behind in class.

How to get transcripts if I don't know my portal login?


Transcripts with current term/session grades will be available no later than the second week of the Summer 2020 term. However, every effort will be made to make them available as soon as possible. If an instructor submits grades late, this will delay their availability. You should check accuracy of your records by viewing your unofficial transcript inside the student portal before requesting transcripts.

The school/work does not accept electronic transcripts, How long will it take them to receive them if I ask them to be mailed?

  • Currently we don’t have a consistent mail delivery option to either receive incoming and to process outgoing mail. Please refer to the fees and processing time on the transcripts page.

I’m trying to add an online course that is full (waitlist too). How can I add when it starts?

  • Please email the professor of the class you are trying to add. If there is room when the class has started the professor should email you an add code so that you may add the class.

How do I get information about non-credit courses?

How can I change my residency for Summer 2020?

  • Go to then go to Admissions & Aid then at the bottom, select Records & Graduation, then select Forms, then Residency Reclassification. Submit all documents to

How can I check the status of my academic renewal so that I can request transcripts?

  • Go to, log in to your portal and under the Student tab go to #18 View Unofficial transcripts. If academic renewal has been processed it will have a "z" symbol next to the grade then you can request transcripts.

How do I change my mailing address?

  • Go to, log in to your portal and under #33 you will be able to change your mailing address.

When is the spring class schedule coming out?

Why is it not indicating an EW when I dropped my class?

  • Any drops prior to April 1st will have the “W” until we change it, but we’re not sure when that will be. It will happen prior to the end of the SPRING 2020 term. The best advice at this time is to keep checking your portal.

After taking the AQ it indicates I take the placement test. How do I do that?

  • Due to the Governor's stay-home order, the campus is closed so we are unable to administer the placement test. I suggest you speak to a counselor who can best advise you on your next step.

Counseling appointments are held over phone, email-based, or video counseling. (This is to enforce social distancing) For over-the-phone appointments, schedule through our Online appointment scheduler, or call either (909) 274-4380; For Online Counseling (email based or video counseling).

How do I know if Admissions received the transcript I submitted and if they have been evaluated and I'm clear to take a class?

  • Students wishing to know whether or not their official transcripts have been received and processed from another institution should visit the portal and click on “Unofficial Transcripts.” Once transcripts have been processed by the Office of Admission and Records Office the student can view both the transfer units they’ve been awarded and courses for which they’ve been given credit.

I lost my student ID #. How can I get it if the campus is closed?

  • Students interested in obtaining their Mt. SAC ID number can email their request to This may take some time due to the COVID 19 pandemic, but once processed, the student ID number will be sent to the student’s personal email on file.

I think I did the AQ wrong. How do I fix that?

Where can I get an AB540 form?

Where can I obtain tax information and information regarding the VITA program?

What happens if my class was canceled?

  • If your class is canceled, your instructor has or will drop you from the class. You do not need to do anything. You will automatically receive an “EW” mark and will automatically receive a refund for your class. Please be patient as it will take some time to process your refund.
  • If you need a particular class to graduate and it was cancelled, speak with a counselor to discuss a petition to substitute another course: