Ask Joe   
Mt. SAC Emergency Alert

Alert: MtSAC Alert#2. Gas leak is forcing closure of Grand at Edinger until about 9PM. Air quality is not a threat. Campus open.

Federal Aid Programs

To help our students pay for college, Mt San Antonio College participates in various federal grant and loan programs. To learn more about the application process, visit the Applying for Aid page

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
  • Federal Direct Loan Program
  • Federal Work Study Program (FWS)

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant Program is for undergraduate students who have not yet completed a baccalaureate or professional degree. Students may receive Federal Pell Grants for up-to 6 full-time years (Lifetime Eligibility Usage), to complete their first undergraduate baccalaureate as long as the student is meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) and other eligibility requirements.

Unlike other federal aid programs, the receipt of a Pell Grant does not depend upon the availability of funds at a particular school. If a student applies, demonstrates financial need, and meets all of the eligibility criteria, he or she will receive a Pell Grant at any eligible school they attend. However, note that a student is not able to receive Pell Grant at more than one school for the same period.

Eligibility for a Federal Pell Grant is determined when you complete your FAFSA. After you complete your FAFSA, if you qualify for a Pell Grant, the Mt. SAC Financial Aid Administrator will calculate the actual amount of your award based on your Expected Family Contribution, Cost of Attendance, and whether you are enrolled full-time or part-time. If you are eligible for a Federal Pell Grant and are enrolled for the summer term, your annual award amount will be allocated half (50%) for the summer term and half (50%) for the fall term. Any unused portion of your annual Pell Grant amount will be reallocated to the spring term of that aid year.

After you complete your FAFSA, you will be notified if you have qualified for a Pell Grant. Like all other federal student aid, eligibility for the Pell Grant is determined every year, so you must complete your FAFSA every year in order to be considered for the Pell Grant.

The maximum amount of the Federal Pell Grant is set annually by Congress. The maximum yearly award from the Pell Grant is currently $6,095.  

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

FSEOG is a campus-based financial aid program. This means that each college participating in the program receives a set amount of money to distribute to its students. The regulations governing FSEOG require that funds be awarded first to students with the most need.

To apply for a FSEOG at Mt. SAC, you must complete your FAFSA. Because the amount of funding in FSEOG is limited, FSEOG awards will be given first to those applicants who have completed their financial aid files by Mt. SAC's Priority Deadline of April 15th.    

Federal Direct Loan Program

The William D. Ford Direct Loan Program is a set of loans made available for students and parents from the United States Department of Education. Mt. SAC participates in all three types of loans through this program: Subsidized, Unsubsidized, and Parent PLUS. Click on the links below to download the applications. If you are interested in applying for a student and/or parent loan, please contact our office for more information.

The subsidized loan is based on financial need, and the federal government pays the interest on the loan as long as the student is enrolled at least half-time. Your loan amount may be subject to proration when your remaining period of study is shorter than an academic year. The interest on an unsubsidized loan is the student's responsibility and continues to build from disbursement of loan through repayment of the loan. This means that your principal balance (the original amount of the loan) will increase (you will owe more than what you originally borrowed) unless you choose to make interest payments while you are in school and during your grace period. The Parent PLUS loan is for a parent to borrow to help the student with college costs. The parent's credit will be a determining factor in the approval of a loan and/or its amount.

Student/Parent loans must be repaid. We encourage families to consider Student/Parent loans only as a last resort and only after they have applied for other forms of financial aid, such as grants and scholarships. To apply for scholarships, visit the Mt. SAC Scholarship Program Office website.

For information on how to be financially prepared for college and about financial wellness, visit the Financial Wellness website

If you are interested in applying for a Direct Student/Parent Loan, you must:

• First complete the FAFSA at  
• Have a complete financial aid file
     -You must submit any required documents through your FAFSA or as requested by the Mt. SAC Financial Aid Department.
• Be enrolled in a minimum of 6 units
• Be maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress with no pending appeals
• Attend a Loan Information Session
     -To sign up for a Loan Information Session, call our Financial Aid Office at (909) 274-4450
     -For dates/times and further information regarding currently offered loan sessions, visit the Loan Workshops/Loan Information Sessions page

To download the Parent PLUS loan application, visit the Financial Aid Forms website, and download the current aid year's Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan Application. Note: The Subsidized and Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan applications can only be obtained in-person. 

Visit Mt. San Antonio College's Code of Conduct for Education Loans to learn about our code of conduct for education loans.

Federal Work Study Program

The Work Study programs give students the opportunity to earn part or all of their financial need by working on campus or off campus in community service positions while they are in school. To apply for the Federal Work Study Program, you must complete your FAFSA.  Examples of the jobs available are: teacher's aide, clerk, grounds person, custodian, and lab assistant. Your wage will be determined by the type and difficulty of the work that you choose.

This type of part-time work can add to your educational experience and can be a valuable asset when seeking employment after graduation.

The Work Study offer reflects the amount of money that you are eligible to earn as wages. Your placement on a job depends upon your skills, the availability of jobs, and the hours that you are available to work.

Students with Work Study eligibility must visit the Job Placement Office for a job referral appointment. Students eligible to participate in the Work Study Program will be referred to a job and, if hired, complete the necessary payroll paperwork.