Ask Joe
Mt. SAC Emergency Alert

Alert: For the college's COVID-19 information, visit .


Frequently Asked Questions

    • Is there a liaison academic counselor with specific knowledge of Child Development pathways to completion?

      Yes! Patricia Maestro can help you develop an educational plan to complete your academic and career goals.  She can also help you navigate certificates, AS and AS-T degrees, transfer preparation and career options.  You can make an appointment by calling 909-274-4380 OR visit the Counseling Website

    • CHLD 10 and CHLD 11 seem quite similar, which one should I take?
      If you are a Child Development major, you should take CHLD 11 Child & Adolescent Development (3 units).  CHLD 11 can satisfy the following requirements:
      • All Child Development Certificates & Degrees
      • AS Degree GE Area D-2
      • AS Degree GE Area E
      • CSU Transferable Area D
      • CSU Transferable Area E
      CHLD 10 Child Growth & Lifespan Development (3 units) can satisfy the following requirements:
      • AS Degree GE Area D-2
      • AS Degree GE Area E
      • CSU Transferable Area D
      • CSU Transferable Area E
    • How do I get a Mt. SAC certificate once I have completed the certificate requirements?

      Complete an “Application for Certificate” form online and submit it to the Admissions and Records Office (9B).  Students are encouraged to apply for every CDE certificate and degree for which they qualify.

    • How can I obtain a variance for a Mt. SAC course if I completed a similar course at another college?

      For directions to complete and submit Variance request, visit our Request for Variance form.

      Carefully read the directions on the back of the form, complete the tasks and submit your request to the Business Division.  Once your variance request is approved or denied by the CDE department, it is recorded by the Business Division and Admissions and Records.  The process can take 2-3 weeks.

    • Not all CDE classes are offered every semester or session. Which classes are typically offered in Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer?

      Pick up a “Child Development & Education Certificates, Permits, Degrees & Transfer Information” booklet in the CDE Faculty Office lobby (73-1801) or any CDE classroom.  The page titled “Child Development & Education Course Offerings” lists semesters courses are typically offered during fall/spring semesters and winter/summer sessions.  It is best to develop a Mountie Academic Plan (MAP) with an academic counselor so courses are completed in a sequential manner.

    • I’d like to enroll in class but have not completed the required prerequisite. Can a course prerequisite be waived?
      No. Prerequisites provide a common academic foundation for all students who enroll in a course.  When a course includes a prerequisite, the course content assumes each student gained specific subject knowledge, skills, and competence upon completion of the prerequisite. The successful completion of prerequisites assures that students are adequately prepared for academic rigor required in course.
    • CHLD 66/66L and CHLD 67/67L tend to fill quickly once registration opens.  What is the best strategy for enrolling in these courses?
      CHLD 66 and co-requisite 66L and CHLD 67 and co-requisite 67L are only offered in fall and spring semesters.  Both the CHLD 66L and 67L labs are conducted at the Mt SAC Child Development Center allowing student to benefit from naturalistic hands-on observation, assessment, and practicum experiences in a dynamic, quality early childhood environment. The CDC is a living laboratory of child development where the ECE classrooms includes student observers and practicum students interacting directly with children and CDC staff members. The number of sections and class size in CHLD 66L and CHLD 67L are limited so not to overwhelm the children in the CDC classrooms.

      Since CHLD 66/66L and CHLD 67/67L tend to fill quickly once registration opens, here are a few tips for our Distance Learning lecture and lab courses:

      1. Prior to enrolling, ALL required prerequisites must be completed with grades posted. Prerequisites for CHLD 66/66L include CHLD 5, CHLD 11 and ENGL 1A. Perquisites for CHLD 67/67L include CHLD 1, CHLD 6, and CHLD 66 & 66L.
      2. Enroll as soon as your registration date and time opens.
      3. Be flexible – enroll in any day and lab time that is open.
      4. Log onto Canvas first thing Monday morning of the start of the semester and complete the attendance verification assignment.  If the attendance verification assignment is not complete by the due date listed by your professor, the professor will drop you from enrollment and your space will be made available to a student on the Wait List.
      5. If all sections are full when your registration date opens, get on the Wait List.  Students will only be added based on the following: space availability and Wait List number.
      6. Check your Mt. SAC email regularly.  Prior to the first day of class, if an enrolled student drops, the first person on the Wait List will receive an automated email inviting them to register for the class.  If you do not register by the deadline, you will be removed from the Wait List and the space will be given to the next person on the Wait List.
      7.  If you are on the Wait List, email your professor on Monday morning of the first week of class stating you are on their Wait List and you are still interested in enrolling in the class if space becomes available.  If space is or becomes available, the instructor will provide an add code to a waitlisted student.

      If CHLD 67/67L is full, consider enrolling in the alternative CHLD 86/87 Infant Toddler Practicum which meets the requirement for the CHLD Development A.S.

      The Mt SAC CDE professors strive to provide thorough, comprehensive learning experiences to students enrolled in CHLD 66/66L and CHLD 67/67L so they develop the knowledge, skills and dispositions essential for success in the ECE field.  We believe this high quality instruction is preferable over other colleges, however, we understand your eagerness to complete your Child Development degree.  If you wish to complete CHLD 66/66L or CHLD 67/67L at another community college, here is a list of equivalent Courses at CAP Aligned Colleges.  Once you have completed the course and obtain transcripts, please submit a course Request for Variance for Equivalent Course  Variance form.

    • I am enrolled in a Child Development class and would like to purchase the required textbook before the semester beings.  How can I find out the title of the required textbook?

      We are pleased you are planning ahead.  All Child Development course sections use the same textbook, for example, in all sections of CHLD 1 we use Child, Family, School, Community: Socialization and Support, 10th Edition by Roberta Berns.  You can find titles of required course textbooks at the Mt SAC bookstore website. If you are interested in purchasing access to an ebook, your instructor will provide you with access information on the first day of class.

    • If a class is full and I want to add the class, what do I do?

      If the desired class is full when you register, you can add yourself to the class wait list.  Please follow the steps in the waitlist process

      Students on the waitlist must attend class the first day and ask the instructor if he or she has room to add waitlisted students.  If you are not on the waitlist, you must attend class the first day and ask the instructor if he or she has room to add non-waitlisted students.

    • How do I obtain an application for the CA Child Development Permit?

      Application are available online and are being accepted electronically.  Recent changes have been made with the submission process due to COVID-19.  Students can review these changes, download applications and submit applications directly through the Child Development Training Consortium (CDTC).

    • If I have concerns about a professor, what should I do?

      Visit the Department Chair during his or her office hours (posted in 73-1801 office windows) or email to arrange a meeting.