AA Liberal Arts, Emphasis Music
Who Is The Degree For?
The AA Liberal Arts, Emph. Music is for students who wish to earn an Associate-level college degree while concentrating on the discipline of music. It is not intended or recommended for students who plan to transfer to a four-year college or university as a music major.
What Is Required?
- Applied Music (1.5 units): Complete three semesters of Music 16. Note: Enrollment in Music 16 requires an ensemble as a co-requisite. Students should plan on completing the Applied Music and Ensemble areas at the same time.
- Ensemble (3-6 units): Participate for a total of three semesters in any ensemble from the following: Music 27, 29, 30, 31, 32, 34, 36, 39, 46, 47, 48 and 49. Note: Students are not required to enroll in the same ensemble for all three semesters.
- Theory and Musicianship (4 units): Complete Music 2 and 5A.
- History (6 units): Complete any two courses from the following: Music 11A, 11B, 12, 13, 13H, 14A, 14B and 15.
- Specialization (2-3 units): Complete any one of the following course sequences: Music 10A and 10B; 17A, 17B and 18; 20A, 20B and 21; 23, 23B and 24; or 25A and 25B.
- Elective (1-3 units): Complete either Music 9 or 22.