Admission to Honors
The Honors Program encourages all highly motivated students to apply to our program as we do a holistic review of all application materials in the admissions process. For example, if you do not meet the required GPA but are currently earning a 3.2 transferable GPA or higher, you should still apply. Be sure to address what factors have impacted your academic journey and what steps are you taking to address these factors either in the required essay or in a separate document which you may upload into the online application.
In addition, the Honors Program welcomes students in various stages of their educational journey. You may enter the Honors Program right out of high school (high school applicant) or as a college applicant after completion of 9 transferable units. The requirements we generally look for are below.
Eligibility for English 1A (Taking the Assessment Questionnaire at https://www.mtsac.edu/assessment/aq/ is the most common way to provide this.)
3.2 GPA (unweighted in 9th through 12th grades)
Letter of recommendation from a teacher or counselor who can attest to your academic abilities. Note ALL high school applicants must submit a letter of recommendation. Please have your teacher or counselor email the letter to you so that you can upload it into your online application.
NOTE: Submit your Honors application with your unofficial transcript, essay, and letter of recommendation after applying for admission to Mt. SAC.
- We begin accepting applications from high school applicants in the last semester of your senior year.
Completion of at least 9 transferable (bachelor degree level) units
Eligibility for English 1A (Taking the Assessment Questionnaire at https://www.mtsac.edu/assessment/aq/ is one way to show this or through completion of ENGL 1A or comparable course in college)
3.2 transferable GPA
Letter of recommendation (waived if transferable GPA is 3.5 or higher). Note that if you ask for a recommendation from a Mt. SAC faculty or counselor, they have the option to recommend you via their faculty portal. Once they do that, the recommendation automatically shows up in your application and no actual letter is required to be uploaded. (Of course, actual letters are still welcomed if that is what the faculty member prefers to do.)
Apply to Honors
To apply to Honors, please complete the online application by clicking on the button below. Although we continuously accept applications, we recommend that you apply by the following deadlines to ensure admissions prior to registration.
Letter of recommendation (Required for ALL high school applicants and college applicants whose transferable GPA is 3.2-3.49. Letter of recommendation is waived for college applicants only if transferable GPA is 3.5 or higher) For Mt. SAC students, if a faculty or counselor recommends you via their faculty portal, this will show in your online application and no additional upload is required.
Short Essay - No more than 350 words. Please choose one of the following prompts:
- Option #1: Describe an example of your leadership experience in which you have positively influenced others, helped resolve disputes or contributed to group efforts over time.
- Option #2: Every person has a creative side and it can be expressed in many ways: problem solving, original and innovative thinking, and artistically, to name a few. Describe how you express your creative side.
- Option #3: What would you say is your greatest talent or skill? How have you developed and demonstrated that talent over time?
- Option #4: Describe how you have taken advantage of a significant educational opportunity?
- Option #5: Describe how you have worked to overcome an educational barrier you have faced?
- Option #6: Describe the most significant challenge you have faced and the steps you have taken to overcome this challenge. How has this challenge affected your academic achievement?
- Option #7: What have you done to make your school or your community a better place?
Work in Progress Form (Only for College Applicants applying mid-semester or later and have requirements in progress)
- High school transcripts (For first time college and high school students only. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.)
Once you have applied, you may always log back into the application to check your status. If admitted, you will receive an acceptance email sent to your Mt. SAC email address. Sometimes this email lands in junk or spam mail so be sure to check there if you do not receive it in your inbox.