Fall / Winter 2020-2021
The Mt. San Antonio College Theater Arts Department presents the New Works Festival throughout the Fall and Winter semester. Our current students and alumni will have the opportunity to be mentored in the process of creating new plays, performance art, monologues, and devised work all semester by faculty with an award-winning professional history of creating new works. This tailored production experience will allow new and returning students to find their creative voice while learning the skills and philosophies necessary to communicate their work with clarity and confidence.
New Works Festival Reading Series (Fall 2020)
Rarely does an audience have the opportunity to be part of the development process for new plays. However, in the industry of professional theater arts, rehearsed readings are a staple of new play development - and require the collaboration of writers, actors, directors, and designers. This stage in development is crucial for playwrights to hear their new scripts out loud - as well as gain feedback from their artistic colleagues. This Fall, we've had the priviledge of developing 8 new plays from Mt. SAC students:
Thursday, Nov. 5th 7:00pm
The Rose Tree by Isaac Jimenez and Sophia Levi
Little Big by Christina Lily Su
Perish Heart by Jose Carlos
Friday, Nov. 6th 7:00pm
Convalescence Sheridan Vieyra
Golden Walls by Brandon Mares
One in Six by Yanira Loera
Saturday, Nov. 7th 7:00pm
Meta Look with a Passion by Michael Martinez
Protest Parade (a devised docu-drama based on interviews) by Emily Perez
EPL by John Pfeffer
To watch the live YouTube stream of these new play readings, visit us at our Theater Arts Department YouTube Page!
Some Key Dates:
● Aug 24 - 1st day of classes
● Aug 25 - All-department meeting & Q&A
● Aug 27 - New Works Festival General Auditions
● Oct 21 - 2nd 8-week section of THTR 13/15 audition/interview submissions DUE
● Nov 5-7 - New Works Reading Series Premiere via Mt. SAC Theater Arts YouTube Channel!
● Nov 12 - Working Backstage Workshop - Professional Practices
● Nov 19 - Working Backstage Workshop pt. II - Building an Entertainment Portfolio
● Dec 3-4 - New Works Festival - Monologues from Quarantine Premiere!