CalVET Tuition Fee Waiver Information

The College Tuition Fee Waiver for Veterans’ Dependents (also known as the CalVET fee waiver) waives mandatory system-wide tuition and fees at any State of California Community College, California State University, or University of California campus. This program does not cover expenses like books, housing and parking. To be eligible, the student must:

  • Have a parent who is a disabled veteran (0% or more disabled); or
  • Have a spouse who is service-connected (S/C) deceased or rated 100% S/C disabled.
  • Be a child earning less than $11,945 per year (student’s income, not parents’). Note: there is no income limit for a spouse or children of S/C deceased or 100% S/C disabled veterans.
  • Attend a California Community College, California State University, or a University of California school.
  • The student must meet the in-state residency requirements as determined by the school
  • Provide proof of the student’s relationship to the veteran such as a copy of a birth or marriage certificate.

To obtain complete eligibility requirements and assistance in applying for these valuable benefits, visit the California Department of Veterans Affairs on-line or contact the department directly at (916) 653-2573.

How to Submit the Fee Waiver for Veterans' Dependents at Mt. SAC:

  • Once a student has been found eligible for benefits, he/she will receive an authorization letter from the Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (mailed to the address provided on the initial application).
  • Complete the Board of Governor's Fee Waiver, noting under the section titled "Special Classifications Enrollment Fee Waivers" that you have certification from the CA Department of Veterans Affairs of being eligible for a dependent's fee waiver.
  • Submit the Board of Governor's Fee Waiver, along with the College Fee Waiver authorization letter, to:

Mt. SAC Financial Aid Office
Student Services Building, 2nd Floor
1100 North Grand Ave.
Walnut, CA  91789