Safety Spotlight - School Break Deep Cleaning
December 16, 2019 - 08:07 PM
School Break Deep Cleaning
Extended student breaks provide schools an opportunity to perform deep cleaning activities. When combined with routine cleaning while classes are in session, deep cleaning helps schools maintain sparkling surfaces, improve health and safety, reduce long-term repair and replacement costs, and convey a caring message to students, staff, and the community.
With classrooms empty, now is an opportune time to assess all areas with a focus on identifying where pathogens (germs) may exist. While not all pathogens have the potential of spreading illness or disease, the possibility exists. Cleaning practices and procedures should be instituted to eliminate them.
- Develop a plan, including the equipment and supplies needed to perform deep cleaning activities in different rooms/areas.
- Emphasize health offices, gymnasiums and athletic equipment, and areas with young children and disabled students.
Indoor Air Quality (IAQ):
According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), indoor air levels of many pollutants may be two to five times, sometimes greater than 100 times, higher than outdoor levels.
- Wash windows inside and out, and detail light fixtures to remove dust.
- Move bookshelves/furniture away from the wall(s) and clean behind.
- Many classrooms have carpeted surfaces. In addition to providing insulation and noise reduction, carpeted surfaces act as an air filter by trapping airborne pollutants. Removing these pollutants through a deep cleaning process reduces heavy build up that can affect allergy and asthma sufferers.
Time to battle the frost...from the freezers!
- Purge expired food items from refrigerators and freezers.
- Empty the unit(s) completely, unplug to melt built up ice, and sanitize.
HVAC (Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning):
HVAC systems affect IAQ.
- Deep cleaning these units will remove pollutants, dust, and mildew that can become airborne.
- Clean units run more efficiently, providing greater comfort to indoor occupants.
This Safety Spotlight is brought to you by ALLIANCE OF SCHOOLS FOR COOPERATIVE INSURANCE
16550 Bloomfield Avenue • Cerritos, California 90703 • (562) 404-8029