Basic Fire Academy
The 70th Mt. SAC Fire Academy started in spring 2020 but was abruptly canceled during the fourth week of the academy due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The 70th Fire Academy will resume in the fall 2020 semester in a hybrid format.
The 71st Fire Academy has been moved to the spring 2021 semester. Students who previously applied for the 71st academy will have to resubmit a new application electronically.
Mt. San Antonio College offers a full-time Basic Fire Academy every Fall and Spring semester. The academy hours are from 4:30a.m. to 7:00p.m. Monday through Friday for 15 weeks. The approximate cost for supplies, school registration, uniforms and safety gear is $1800-$2200. ( Mt. SAC Basic Fire Academy do not accept any station sponsorship for students) This estimate does not include the cost of classes.
Mt. SAC’s Fire Academy is a regionally accredited institution. Upon completion of the academy, a Firefighter I Certified Trained certificate will be issued along with other academy certificates. After six months of employment as a full-time firefighter, the Chief of your department must request a Firefighter I Certificate from the CDF/State Fire Training.
How to Apply
Prior to applying to Mt. SAC's Basic Fire Academy, students are required to take the following fire classes:
- FIRE 1: Fire Protection Organization
- FIRE 2: Fire Prevention Technology
- FIRE 3: Fire Protection Equipment & Systems
- FIRE 4: Building Construction for Fire Protection
- FIRE 5: Fire Behavior & Combustion
- FIRE 13: Fire and Emergency Service Safety and Survival
Most fire classes meet once a week for three hours a semester. Students will receive three units for each course completed with a "C" or better. Students must retake any class for which a "F" or "W" was earned before they will be considered eligible for the Basic Fire Academy.
In addition to the six fire courses, the following prerequisites must also be met prior to acceptance into the Basic Fire Academy:
- EMT (Emergency Medical Technician): EMT certification may be taken at other colleges or at Mt. SAC.
- KINF- 51 or 52: A minimum of one semester is required. It is recommended that students take this class every semester until the academy begins in order to achieve and maintain an optimal level of physical fitness.
Once all required prerequisite courses have been completed, students may submit their applications for the Fire Academy.