At the Writing Center, we recognize that sometimes it can be a challenge to find a good time to meet live with a tutor to get that feedback and assistance on your essay that you want/need. If you are having a difficult time making it to our live appointments, we invite you to submit your essay for asynchronous feedback from one of our Writing Coaches.
This service is designed to help Mt. SAC students improve their writing. By choosing this service, you will receive help in recognizing recurrent errors, finding ways to organize your ideas, and becoming better at identifying how to improve your own writing. It works best for complete or near complete essay drafts.
Here are the steps for submitting your work to our writing coaches:
- Click on our submission form (linked below)
- Answer a few brief questions
- From the drop-down box, click on the type of submission you are uploading (essay/personal insight questions, personal statement, transfer essay, scholarship essay/other)
- Upload the required prompt/assignment instructions.
- Tell us a few areas of focus. It helps to ask us questions, such as:
- Is my thesis clear and answering the prompt?
- Am I citing my sources correctly?
- Am I developing my argument with enough evidence and analysis?
- I struggle with commas; could you take a look at those for me?
- Your feedback will be returned to you via email, normally in about 48 hours, although it may take up to 72 hours in times of high traffic. Please plan accordingly.
- Please note that the writing coach will spend 30 minutes reviewing your work and giving you feedback on your document.
- Submission Link
- Asynchronous Feedback stops Today (02/15/2024). We will be back in the spring (Feb. 26).
The Writing Center consultant may:
- Highlight grammar error patterns and point to helpful resources
- Address sentence-level concerns, e.g., word choice, syntax
- Make comments on ideas/concepts
- Give suggestions to help generate ideas to fully answer the prompt
- Ask questions that may help develop ideas and analysis
- Ask questions that a reader might have
- Provide positive feedback
We will normally deliver feedback to you within 48 hours of submission although longer time is possible in high traffic times.
If you are interested in audio feedback, please contact the Writing Center Director, Trista Payte: email@example.com