Preparing to Graduate
Preparing to graduate is one of the most exciting times in a student's college career, and we want to make it as easy and stress-free as possible. Whether you're looking for Commencement Day information to share with your family, or want to learn more about how to prepare for graduation, our Graduation Section has everything you need to know to successfully complete your college career.
If you want information on Graduation Day itself (aka Commencement), visit our Commencement Day page.
Before you Graduate
To ensure that your graduation goes smoothly, be sure to complete the following steps:
- Track your degree and academic progress online by logging into your My Mt. SAC Portal. There you can view and edit your Mountie Academic Plan (MAP) to create and modify your educational goals.
- Complete an Application for Graduation (aka Graduation Petition) and submit by the deadline for the semester in which you plan to graduate. Submit the completed application to the Admissions and Records office via email to: email@example.com.
- If you are seeking to substitute a course completed at another school or one course for another, you need to petition for a variance with the appropriate department/division. Contact the appropriate department/division head to learn more.
- All transcripts from other colleges or universities must be either included with the petition or on file in the Admissions and Records Office.
- Submit or mail both the Graduation and Variance Petitions to the Admissions and Records Office.
Applying to Graduate
The Application for Graduation (aka Graduation Petition) is the student’s notification to Admissions and Records that he or she has completed all requirements and would like to receive a degree. All students intending to receive a degree must file this application and have all required documents and official transcripts on file. Students should meet with a counselor to discuss their education plan before submitting the application.
Here are some tips to keep in mind as you complete your Application for Graduation:
- Students should meet with a counselor to discuss their education plan before submitting the application.
- The deadlines for submitting the application are listed in the Schedule of Classes. Applications received after the deadline will be processed with the next graduation cycle.
- Students may apply for graduation one semester prior to completing all required coursework.
- Petitions are reviewed during the semester in which you plan to graduate. Students are notified by mail of the results of that review.
- Once the degree has been granted, it will be posted to your academic record and will appear on your transcript.
- If a student is denied graduation, he or she will be informed in writing.
- Students may apply for graduation one semester prior to completing all required coursework. Once the degree has been conferred, it will be posted to the student’s academic record and will appear on the transcript. Students will also receive their diplomas in the mail thereafter. If a student is denied graduation, he or she will be informed in writing.