Board Meeting Briefs February 24, 2021
March 01, 2021 - 08:01 AM
Meeting Date: Feb. 24, 2021 Location: Via teleconference Next Meeting: March 10, 2021
● The Board upheld the administrative decision in Unlawful Discrimination Complaint (Pursuant to AP 3435 - Discrimination and Harassment Investigations) – Case #1
- The Board upheld the administrative decision in Unlawful Discrimination Complaint (Pursuant to AP 3435 - Discrimination and Harassment Investigations) – Case #2
MOMENT OF SILENCE
- Observed a moment of silence for retiree John Rizo at the age of 79 on December 17, 2020. John began his service at Mt. SAC as a custodian in 1975 and served almost 30 years until his retirement in 2005. His son, Anthony, is a current Mt. SAC employee and has fond memories of visiting his dad at work and then, later, working alongside him.
- Observed a moment of silence for retiree Rosendo Paz Jr., who passed on January 10, 2021, due to complications from COVID. Ros taught as an adjunct instructor in the Computer Information Systems Department for over 20 years, retiring in 2010. Ros loved teaching at Mt. SAC, loved his students, and enjoyed working with other CIS department faculty. Colleagues who knew Ros recalled his love for teaching and his frequent smile.
- Observed a moment of silence for retiree Mary Ball Williams, who passed on January 5, 2021. Mary began her career at Mt. SAC as a secretary in the EOPS Office in 1968 and retired as a Supervisor, EOPS after 32 years of service in 2000.
- Observed a moment of silence for retired professor John Conforti who passed on January 19, 2021. John retired in 2002 after 34 years of service to Mt. SAC as a Professor of Electronics Technology in the Electronics Department. During his years at the College, John worked as a Professor in Electronics, Consumer Products Technology, and Communications Technology. John was responsible for developing and proctoring the Consumer Products curriculum, NARTE certification, and for setting up safety tests for all labs in the department. In 1996, he was awarded a President’s Award for his involvement in the grand opening of the Performing Arts Center. In 1997, John received the National Marconi-Bell Award in Telecommunications for his positive contributions. After retirement, John continued working as a consultant for the NBC technical staff for the Tonight Show with Jay Leno. He also served as a member of the Queen of the Valley Hospital Institutional Review Board and was a Director for the Federal Communications Commission Licensing Program in Southern California.
INTRODUCTIONS AND RECOGNITIONS
Trustee Area Local Elected Introductions
The Board welcomed newly elected K-12 school board members:
- Christian Aguilar, Charter Oak Unified School District
- Kristin McGuire, Charter Oak Unified School District
- Erik Venegas, Rowland Unified School Board.
- Maria Caceres, Covina Valley Unified School District
Introduction of the following newly appointed and promoted employees:
Permanent New Hires
- Ebony Coburn,Instructional Designer (Professional and Organizational Development)
- Catherine Flores, Fiscal Technician II (Fiscal Services)
- Suzanne Ponce, Fiscal Specialist (Fiscal Services)
- Steven Green, Coordinator, Warehouse (Warehouse)
- Erin Preston, Student Services Program Specialist II (ASPIRE)
- Nerissa Uiagalelei, Human Resources Analyst (Human Resources)
- Marina Alkasas, Enterprise Network Administrator (Information Technology)
- Kasteel Gumban, Fiscal Specialist (Fiscal Services)
- Judy Kim,Fiscal Technician II (Fiscal Services)
- Kennith Kawaguchi,Applications Training Specialist (Information Technology)
Awarded a Certificate of Service to the following retiring employee:
- Mary Lange, Director, Education for Older Adults with Disabilities (School of Continuing Education), 35 years of service
CAMPUS LEADERSHIP REPORTS
Reports were given by Academic Senate, Classified Senate, Faculty Association, CSEA 262, CSEA 651, Management Steering and Public Affairs. Detailed reports will be reflected in the official minutes when posted online.
INFORMATIONAL REPORT – ORAL REPORT BY EIDE BAILLY LLP, CERTIFIED PUBLIC ACCOUNTANTS
The Board reviewed the Mt. San Antonio Community College District, Financial Aid, Mt. San Antonio College Auxiliary Services Corporation and Measure RR and Measure GO Performance and Financial audits with representatives from Eide Bailly LLP, Certified Public Accountants, for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2020. Mt. SAC received an unmodified opinion, which is the best opinion that can be received. There were no findings or recommendations.
INFORMATIONAL REPORT – GRANTS UPDATE
In FY 2020-21, the Grants Office has monitored 33 grant projects for a total funding level of $18.2 million. Of these projects, 46% are state-funded, 30% are federally funded, 21% are privately funded, and 3% are locally funded. Federal grants make up 60% of total funding, followed by state grants at 35%, private grants at 3%, and local grants at 2%.
This fiscal year, the Grants Office has coordinated the submission of seven full grant applications, two preliminary applications, six full grant applications in partnership with other lead institutions, and two preliminary partner applications. The total funding request for these grant applications is $1.6 million. In addition, the department has at least seven applications on the docket for planned submission later this spring, for an estimated total request of $4.1 million.
- Approved the Consent Calendar, as corrected (items 10.04 and 10.06)
- Accepted the audit reports from Eide Bailly LLP, Certified Public Accountants, for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2020
- Accepted the 2021 Accreditation Midterm Report
- Trustee Robert Hidalgo was appointed to serve as the Los Angeles County Committee Voting Representative
- Approved an Amendment to the Agreement with Tilden-Coil Constructors for Construction Management Services - Lot S Parking Structure
- Approved an Amendment to the Agreement with Tilden-Coil Constructors for Construction Management Services - Athletics Complex East
- Approved an Amendment to the Agreement with Tilden-Coil Constructors for Construction Management Services - Lot R Parking Structure
- Approved the First Amendment to the Declaration of Restrictive Covenants for the West Parcel
Proposed New Board Policy 7160 - Professional Development
- Revision to Administrative Procedure 5520 - Student Discipline Procedures
- Revision to Administrative Procedure 7121 - Recruitment and Hiring - Classified Employees
- New Administrative Procedure 7123 - Recruitment and Hiring - Confidential Employees
- New Administrative Procedure 7160 - Professional Development
Dr. Manuel Baca, Jay Chen, Gary Chow, Judy Chen Haggerty, Esq.
Peter Hidalgo, Robert Hidalgo, Laura Santos
Sophia Ruiz, Student Trustee