Board Meeting Briefs Dec. 11, 2019
December 12, 2019 - 11:31 AM
The Mt. SAC Board of Trustees met on December 11, 2019 at 6:30pm in Founders Hall. The meeting was the annual organizational meeting, the trustees elected Trustee Laura Santos to serve as president, Trustee Rosanne Bader as vice president, and Trustee Judy Chen Haggerty as clerk, effective immediately for one-year terms.
Outgoing Board President Robert Hidalgo was thanked for his service by MT. SAC President and CEO Dr. William Scroggins. who present Hidalgo with a commemorative gavel.
CAMPUS LEADERSHIP REPORTS
Reports were given by Associated Students, Academic Senate, Classified Senate, Faculty Association, CSEA 262, Foundation and Alumni Association, Management Steering, and Public Affairs. Detailed reports will be reflected in the official minutes when posted online.
Permanent New Hires were introduced.
- Vianey Arenas Juarez, Administrative Specialist III (Humanities and Social Sciences)
- Akisha Cravens, Custodian (Custodial Services)
- Raymone Dashiell, Student Services Program Specialist I (Counseling)
- Daniel Lee, Telecommunications Technician (Information Technology)
- Adriana Martinez, Dispatcher I (Police and Campus Safety)
- Annette Monge-Hermosillo, Student Services Outreach Specialist (High School Outreach)
- Rachel Moran, Laboratory Technician I — Chemistry (Chemistry)
- Naomi Spinella, Financial Aid Specialist (Financial Aid)
- Tamara Knott-Silva, Associate Dean, Kinesiology, Athletics and Dance (Kinesiology, Athletics, and Dance)
Promoted employees were introduced.
- Rowena Imes, Lead Information Technology Support Technician (Information Technology)
- Gabriela Sesma, Coordinator, Cashier's Office (Cashier's Office)
Awarded a Certificate of Service to the following retiring employees:
- Joyce Ellison, Administrative Specialist II (School of Continuing Education), 17 years of service
- Karen Newsome, Administrative Specialist IV (Business), 18 years of service
INFORMATIONAL REPORT – ORAL REPORT ON FINANCIAL AUDITS
Representatives from Eide Bailly LLP (formerly Vavrinek, Trine, Day & Co., LLP, Certified Public Accountants) gave an overview of the audit of the Mt. San Antonio Community College District, Financial Aid, and Mt. SAC Antonio College Auxiliary Services Corporation for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2019. Mt. SAC received an unmodified opinion, which is the best opinion that can be received.
INFORMATIONAL REPORT – ADULT EDUCATION REGIONAL CONSORTIUM UPDATE
Dr. Madelyn Arballo, Associate Vice President, School of Continuing Education, and Rocky Bettar, Director of Adult Education/Career Preparation at Rowland Unified School District, gave an update on the Adult Education Regional Consortium.
The Mt. SAC Regional Consortium for Adult Education was established in June 2014 under the direction of AB 86 and subsequently through AB 104. Consortium members include Baldwin Park Unified School District (USD), Bassett USD, Charter Oak USD, Covina USD, East San Gabriel Valley Regional Occupational Program, Hacienda La Puente USD, Mt. San Antonio College, Pomona USD, and Rowland USD. In the 2018-19 school year, the Consortium served over 40,000 adult learners, making it the second largest consortium in California. Fifty-six percent of students enrolled in 2018-19 were Hispanic/Latino and 37 percent were Asian. Sixty-two percent of students were between the ages of 25 and 54.
In 2019-20, the Consortium received a total state allocation of $35,717,349. The regional needs are increasing gains in literacy (English, math, skills improvement) and serving those adults with disabilities. Goals include increasing integration of co-location with workforce agencies and America’s Job Centers of California, establishing consortium-wide training for expanded support for adults with disabilities, and integrating transition services.
- Approved the Consent Calendar
- Held a Public Hearing Regarding Initial Proposals for Year One-of-Three Successor Agreement Between the District and CSEA, Chapter 262
- Held a Public Hearing Regarding Initial Proposals for Year One-of-Three Successor Agreement Between the District and CSEA, Chapter 651
- Accepted the audit reports from Eide Bailly LLP (previously Vavrinek, Trine, Day & Co., LLP) Certified Public Accountants, for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2019
The Board discussed the appointment of an interim member for Trustee Area 5 while Trustee Jay Chen is deployed as a member of the U.S. Navy Reserve. Trustee Chen has been granted a leave of absence until July 2020 and the Board has the authority to appoint an interim member to serve in his absence. The College received two applications with both applicants meeting the criteria to be eligible for appointment; however, consensus was not reached among the board and the item will not be agendized for further action.
TRUSTEESDr. Manuel Baca, Rosanne Bader, Jay Chen, Gary Chow Judy Chen Haggerty, Esq., Robert Hidalgo, Laura Santos Maricela Vazquez Aviles, Student Trustee
Dr. William T. Scroggins, President & CEO