If you teach online at Mt. SAC, you have been SPOT-certified. Online professors already know: using technology for teaching is a continuous learning process!
The current faculty contract specifies: “SPOT certification is valid for a period of four (4) years. Every four (4) years, professors will be required to obtain a recertification through a condensed SPOT training approved by the Academic Senate, not to exceed four (4) hours.” -- (13.A.3) in the Faculty Contract
Click through the accordion icons, below, to check your readiness to submit your SPOT recertification evidence. The blue "Proceed to Submit Your SPOT Recertification" button is located under the last icon.
Recertification is based on your original SPOT certification date. You can find your date on the SPOT certified faculty distance learning page.
- From the top list “Faculty” choose SPOT-certified faculty
- Filter or search for your name to find your SPOT completion date
- Find out when your SPOT recertification is due based on this table:
SPOT certification or last recertification date Complete SPOT recertification by Training must take place in this date range Recertification is good until August 1, 2017 – July 31, 2018 July 31, 2022 August 1, 2018-July 31, 2022 July 31, 2026 August 1, 2018 – July 31, 2019 July 31, 2023 August 1, 2019-July 31, 2023 July 31, 2027 August 1, 2019 – July 31, 2020 July 31, 2024 August 1, 2020-July 31, 2024 July 31, 2028 August 1, 2020 – July 31, 2021 July 31, 2025 August 1, 2021-July 31, 2025 July 31, 2029 August 1, 2021 – July 31, 2022 July 31, 2026 August 1, 2022-July 31, 2026 July 31, 2030 August 1, 2022 - July 31, 2023 July 31, 2027 August 1, 2023-July 31, 2027 July 31, 2031 August 1, 2023 - July 31, 2024 July 31, 2028 August 1, 2024 - July 31, 2028 July 31, 2032 August 1, 2024 - July 31, 2025 July 31, 2029 August 1, 2024 - July 31, 2029 July 31, 2033
Recertifying in SPOT: What Counts?
Only approved workshops can be used toward SPOT recertification. Only workshops in the accepted date range (within 4 years of your recert due date) can be used.
- Mandatory 1-hour Regulations Update offered online or on campus.
- Already completed local workshops may count if they are in the 4-year training window.
- Approved local Mt. SAC workshops on Canvas/Accessibility/Distance Learning. NOTE: Introduction to Canvas sessions are ONLY approved for the period during Canvas migration (2016-17). Introductory Canvas courses, in general, are NOT approved for SPOT recertification.
- @ONE courses if they earn a badge or certificate (self-paced options do not count). @ONE courses must be moderated (i.e., take place over time), not be self-paced. The CVC OEI Vision Resource Center courses are self-paced and do not count toward SPOT recertification.
- Verified attendance at local Mt. SAC CanInnovate conference sessions.
- Verified attendance at Online Teaching Conference (OTC) 2017, 2018, and 2019. Please keep a copy of your registration receipt, and either your attendee badge or list of sessions you attended. NOTE: Because OTC 2020 provides no attendance verification, OTC 2020 sessions will not be accepted for SPOT Recertification.
How Do I Find Approved Recertification Activities?
We want you to have options that add value to your online teaching skills! More online and on-demand workshops will be announced as they become available. The search box below will give you a list of approved Recertification Activities.
- WANT TO COMPLETE REGULATIONS UPDATE ONLINE? (Note: only one Regs Update counts per SPOT Recertification cycle.) CLICK HERE TO ENROLL IN REGS UPDATE ONLINE
- @ONE Trainings: Welcome to @ONE's Course List
- Please note: some @ONE activities do not receive credit/badges/certificates (for instance, self-paced activities do not). Most of the @ONE activities that do receive badges or certificates require significantly more than 4 hours of work to complete.
- Approved @ONE courses that count toward SPOT recertification: Creating Accessible Course Content; Equity and Culturally Responsive Teaching; Humanizing Your Online Teaching
You can use the search form to check out the workshops or sessions that qualify toward SPOT Recertification Hours. For an accessible version of approved workshops, you can go directly to the full list:
Are You Ready to Submit Your Recertification Evidence?
- Have you completed your mandatory 1-hour Regulations Update for SPOT Recertification Activity? (One hour of the four hours should be Regs Update.)
- Have you completed 3 other hours of approved Recertification activities within your training date range?
If so, you are ready to submit for SPOT Recertification!
Questions? E-mail the Distance Learning Faculty Coordinator
Title Name Distance Learning Faculty Coordinator Carol Impara email@example.com