TIPS FOR STUDENTS
Preparation for Disability Services in College
- Make sure disability documentation is up to date; that it addresses the accommodations
you will need, and then submit it to the college disability office prior to start
of first term.
- Understand and be able to articulate what your disability is and how it affects your
- Learn how to responsibly balance your time between study, work, and relaxation.
- Learn to advocate for yourself while in high school.
- Practice effective learning strategies: e.g. keep up with reading assignments, take
understandable lecture notes for later use, review course materials regularly (not
just before tests).
- Get organized and start using a calendar/planner to manage time and assignments.
- Find out what accommodations are available in college and start using them now.
- Discuss with your high school or Dept. of Rehabilitation counselor all educational/career
- Understand my disability and learn ways to compensate
- Learn how to explain my disability and needs to others
- Learn how to ask for appropriate accommodations
- Learn that it is OK to use appropriate accommodations
- Identify my strengths and weaknesses
- Learn that it is OK to ask for help
- Express my needs clearly to all college employees, especially the
- ACCESS staff and my instructors, early in the term
- Take responsibility and develop independence in coordinating your services
- Meet with instructors when needed
College Survival Skills
- Keep a calendar of all exam/assignment due dates and appointments
- Plan on spending two to three hours of studying for every hour of class
- Be on time to class, ask questions when needed, and participate!
- Take notes in class and review them – often!
- Complete all assignments on time – plan ahead!
- Take advantage of services on campus to help you succeed such as tutoring or special
- Arrange for needed accommodations early in the term
- Visit the ACCESS office for assistance, questions, counseling, and class selection
– we are here to help!
- Plan time to eat, sleep and have some fun!
- If trouble arises, seek assistance as soon as possible