You are an AB 540 student, and exempt from paying non-resident enrollment fees, if you meet all of the following criteria:
- Attended a California high school for at least three years;
- Graduated from a California high school, got a GED or passed the California High School Proficiency Exam;
- Are registered or enrolled at a California community college; AND
- If required, complete an affidavit saying you have filed (or will file when you are eligible to do so) for legal immigration status.
AB 540 students may be:
- Students who are U.S. citizens, but who are not CA residents
- Students who are undocumented
AB 540 students are not:
- Students with a non-immigrant Visa status (U-Visa and victims of sex trafficking may be eligible for AB 540 status)
- Students "home-schooled" by a parent who does not hold a CA teacher credential
- Students living out-of-state and enrolling in a private California "internet high school"
At Mt. SAC, eligible students must complete, sign and submit to the Admissions and Records Office an AB540/California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request to be considered exempt from Nonresident Tuition.