Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I get credit for a Mt. SAC course if I took a similar course at another college?Fill out a variance form that can be obtained from the Business Division Office and have it signed by the Department Chair and Division Dean.
- What do I do if a course I need to complete my degree is not offered the semester
I want to graduate?Students can meet with the Department Chair and ask if you can take another course in place of the one that is not offered.
- How do I get a Mt. SAC certificate once I have completed the certificate requirements?Students must fill out the certificate application form that can be obtained from the Business Division Office and submit it to the Admissions and Records Office.
- If a class is full and I want to add the class, what do I do?Students wishing to add a full class may list their name on the waitlist for the course, attend the first day of class and ask the instructor if they have room for you to add.
- If I want to complain about a teacher, what do I do? Contact the Department Chair of that instructor and arrange a meeting.
- Where can I get more information on Accounting Careers?Accounting as a career includes a wide range of fields. The first step in pursuing a career in accounting is to spend time researching various occupations within the industry and the required qualifications. There are numerous resources online that can help you with this research. To get started, go to the Mt. SAC Accounting homepage and click on the link titled “Careers in Accounting”. Some popular websites are provided, including professional accounting organizations. Here you can explore various career paths, including clerical jobs like Payroll and Bookkeeping as well as more advanced professionals, such as CPA’s and CMA’s. There are more resources available, but this is a good start as you begin your research of accounting careers.
- Where can I find more information on how to become a CPA and what courses does Mt.
SAC offer to fulfill the educational requirement?For more information on how to become a CPA and course work offered at Mt. SAC, please refer to our Career Information link.
- What is the VITA Tax Program and where can I find more information on how to get involved?For more information on the VITA Tax Program at Mt. SAC, please refer to our VITA Program link.
- How can I get an internship or job in accounting?Mt. SAC has an excellent Career Placement Center that has numerous resources on job opportunities, as well as interview and resume workshops. To find out more, go visit the Mt. SAC Career Services webpage. Additionally, there is a Work Experience in accounting course where students can earn credit towards a degree or certificate. The first step is to contact Career Services (refer to their website) and begin the process of job search and resume preparation. In order to sign up for the Work Experience in accounting course, you must already have a job in Accounting or have an internship scheduled for the semester in which you want to earn the units. For more information, contact Brenda Domico at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Do I have to have a bachelors or higher to work in Accounting? What are my options?Obtaining a 4-year degree is always the best choice in pursuing a career in Accounting, however, there are several job opportunities in accounting that do not require a 4-year degree. A bachelor degree provides you with an excellent foundation for obtaining a job in accounting, and is a requirement for higher level certifications, such as a CPA (Certified Public Accountant) or CMA (Certified Managerial Accountant). There are numerous opportunities in more clerical positions that do not require a 4-year degree. Some examples of these include, Bookkeeping, Payroll, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Data-Entry (Quickbooks), and much more. Mt. SAC offers several certificates and a 2-year degree that can help prepare you for some of these fields. To find out more about these certificates and degree, refer to the Mt. SAC Accounting Degrees & Certificates webpage. Here you will find the certificates and degree requirements for all Accounting.
- How can I get credit for a Mt. SAC course if I took a similar course at another college?