Classroom Visitation Evaluations of DL Faculty
If you would like to know the name of an experienced Distance Learning faculty to conduct the online portion of an “in-class” evaluation, please contact Dean, Library & Learning Resources, Meghan Chen, at x5658. She will provide to you the name of an experienced Distance Learning faculty who is willing to conduct this evaluation. If you already know of an experienced Distance Learning Faculty who is willing to conduct the evaluation, you do not need to contact Meghan Chen.
A two-day advance notice for all classroom visitations is now required.
Classroom Visitation Evaluations of Distance Learning Faculty should be conducted in this manner:
- The evaluator must download and print H.4.c form - Classroom Visitation Evaluation of Distance Learning Faculty: Word Version or PDF Version
- The evaluator should be able to view all portions of the course web site that a student can view.
- Faculty being evaluated (the “evaluatee”) must allow the evaluator access to his/her course web site for a specified amount of time to conduct the evaluation:
- The evaluator should also have a copy of the Distance Learning Amendment form for the course that is to be evaluated, as this form summarizes the DL activities that MAY be included in the class. Keep in mind that not all activities need to be included - the list is a "menu" of potential activities in the DL course. The DL course amendment form can be located at the following link, by clicking on the desired course: click here!
1) The faculty being evaluated (the "evaluatee") must allow guest access in the MR course shell by completing the following steps:
- In the DL course, go to Settings > Edit course settings
- Under Allow guest access: Select Yes, and
add a password (for security)
so that only those that have the password can get into the class.
- Save changes. Relate the password to the evaluator.
2) The evaluator will need to access the course via the following procedure:
- Log into the portal, click on the eLearning Tools tab, click on the Moodlerooms link
- At the bottom of the Home page, type the CRN of the course that is being evaluated in the text box next to Search courses
- Click on the course that results from the search
- In the Password area, enter the guest access password given to you by the evaluatee.
It would also be beneficial if the evaluatee and the evaluator have a meeting prior to the actual "visitation" so that the layout of the course can be described, including where evidence might be found regarding "Regular and Effective Contact" with students and various activities that are part of the class.
Also, if this class has regular on-campus meetings, it is advisable to also visit the on-campus portion of the class to get a more complete view of the course.
The evaluator must have a Moodlerooms account. All Mt. SAC faculty members should have a Moodlerooms account by default. If the evaluator is not a faculty member and needs an account he or she should contact Meghan Chen in the Learning Resources Department at x5658.
If you have any questions regarding this procedure, please contact Mary Johnson at (909) 274-6369 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Meghan Chen at (909) 274-5658 or email@example.com.