Nutritious and Delicious Breakfast Dishes Nutrition Class & Demo!
Join registered dietitian Megan Wroe in her kitchen once again for a brand new virtual lunch n’ learn! Megan will be showing
you how to make some nutritious and oh-so delicious breakfast dishes that are easy
to whip up and will keep you energized all morning rather than getting that early
- Protein Bars
Almond Butter Chocolate Protein Bars
- 5 pitted dates
- 5 Tbls. water
- ½ cup almond butter
- ½ cup neutral protein powder
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1 Tbls. cocoa powder
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Heat dates and water in microwave for 1 minute. Remove and cover with a towel for
5 minutes to “steam.”
- Pour dates, water and nut butter into blender and process until smooth. Add protein
powder and almond flour and process again until smooth.
- Separate the mix into 2 separate bowls. Add cocoa powder into one and cinnamon into
the other. Mix well.
- Combine the 2 doughs into a large ball so that it starts to looked marbled. Push firmly
into an 8x4 loaf pan lined with parchment paper.
- Freeze for at least an hour. Slice into 6-8 portions and store in the freezer. Allow
to defrost for 2-3 minutes before eating.
- Swap 2-3 Tbls. defrosted, mashed berries instead of cocoa powder for PBJ bars.
- Egg Bites
Instant Pot Egg Bites
Servings 7 bites
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup cottage cheese
- ¼ cup chopped roasted red bell pepper
- ¼ - ½ cup sautéed spinach
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- 1 Tbls. fresh or dried chives
- Sea salt & pepper
- Whisk all ingredients together and pour into Instant Pot silicone molds that have
been sprayed with oil.
- Pour 1 cup water into Instant Pot and lower trivet inside.
- Cover silicone mold, lower into Instant Pot, lock the lid and put into sealed position.
- Press the STEAM button and set for 10 minutes. Once it has cooked, allow to release
naturally for 5-10 minutes. Allow to cool before taking out of molds.
- Feel free to swap out with other favorite veggies. Broccoli and cheddar, kale and
- These freeze well so double the recipe if you like!
- Egg Muffins
Serving 2 Muffins
- 6-8 medium eggs, beaten
- ½ sweet potato, grated
- 2 cups spinach or kale leaves, chopped
- 1-2 medium zucchini, grated and liquid squeezed out
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. each sea salt and ground pepper
- Optional: nutritional yeast, favorite cheese, favorite seasonings, hot sauce, herbs
- Preheat oven to 350.Grease a 12-hole muffin tin with olive oil
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Spoon egg mixture into muffin holes. Bake for 35 minutes, or until set and not “jiggly.”
Chill for up to 1 week or freeze.
- Eat on the go or serve with diced avocado or salsa!
- Feel free to swap out with other favorite veggies, add little bits of sausage or leftovers
from the week, etc!
- You can leave out the almond meal and baking powder for more of a “quiche” texture
than muffin texture. Both ways are delish!
- You can also swap out the sweet potato for more veggie if you want lower starch/carbs
in your egg muffins.
- English Muffin
2 Minute Paleo English Muffin
- ¼ cup almond or cashew flour
- 1 Tbls coconut flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 egg
- ½ Tbls melted coconut oil or avocado oil
- 2 Tbls water
For the cinnamon raisin version:
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ Tbls maple syrup
- 1 ½ Tbls golden raisins
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a small bowl.
- Add remaining wet ingredients and whisk again.
- Transfer mixture into greased ramekin and microwave 2 minutes
- Remove from ramekin, slice in half and toast 2-3 minutes in toaster to serve.
- Feel free to experiment with herbs and seasonings! Try garlic powder, Everything But
the Bagel seasoning or parmesan cheese!
- Protein Pancakes
Freezer Protein Pancakes
- 1 cup water or almond milk
- 1 egg
- 1 banana
- ¼ - ½ cup protein powder
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 Tbls. baking powder
- 2 Tbls. arrowroot starch
- Coconut oil for pan
- Optional add-ins (1/4 cup each): chocolate chips, dried cranberries, fresh blueberries
or raspberries, unsweetened coconut flakes, 1 tsp. vanilla, ¼ cup lemon juice, poppy
- Toppings: Greek yogurt, berry chia syrup, fresh fruit, lemon zest
- Blend all ingredients other than toppings in a blender until smooth. Add add-ins by
stirring by hand.
- Melt 1 Tbls. coconut oil in large pan and pour round pancakes of batter onto pan.
Let cook until you see bubbles form, then flip and cook another 2-3 minutes per side.
- Serve with toppings or let cool and freeze in airtight container.
- Add 1 scoop favorite protein powder to give this even more satiating power.
- To Reheat: Pop in toaster or toaster oven on low. Alternatively, warm in the oven
at 350 for 6-8 minutes.
The Health Benefits of Taco Tuesday!
You’ve heard of the Mediterranean Diet, but did you know that the Taco Diet (if done right) can provide many of the same health benefits? Join dietitian
Megan Wroe for a virtual cooking class where she will show you how to make a heart-healthy,
anti-inflammatory, delicious dish for your Taco Tuesday! Megan will walk you through the nutritional reasons why certain taco ingredients are beneficial and will discuss ways to use the same ingredients in multiple
ways to give your taco nights variety. Who knows, a margarita demo just might be included too!
Video Recording of Taco Tuesday
Access Password: 3Y?%POv*
Link expires 30 days after April 28, 2020
- Cassava Flour Tortillas
Cassava Flour Tortillas
Servings 6-10 tortillas
- 1 cup cassava flour
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 3 Tbls. melted coconut oil or avocado oil
- ½ cup + 2 Tbls. warm water
- Whisk flour and salt together in a large bowl.
- Use a fork to work the oil into the flour until uniformly crumbly.
- Add the warm water to the mixture using the form, mixing until it becomes a sticky
dough. Once it seems uniformly sticky, use your hands to shape it into a large ball.
- Separate the large ball into 6-10 smaller balls, place into a large bowl and cover
the bowl with a damp towel to let rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Use your hands or 2 pieces of parchment paper or a tortilla press to roll small balls
of dough to preferred thinness (ideal is around the thickness of an orange peel).
- Preheat skillet or griddle over medium-low heat. Do NOT grease the pan. Transfer tortillas
to griddle and heat 30-60 seconds per side. Place heated tortillas on a plate covered
with a towel to keep warm and moist.
- Turn these into chips by slicing your tortillas into triangles. Lightly brush with
olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt, then bake on a baking sheet at 425 for 10-15
minutes, flipping halfway through. Season before baking however you like: cumin, smoked
paprika, lime juice, or even cinnamon and sugar!
- Chickpea flour can replace cassava flour, but the texture is a bit more bready, like
- Citrus Slaw
- 1 large bag of coleslaw mix (or ½ head green and ½ head red cabbage, chopped)
- ½ -1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1-2 Tbls. rice vinegar
- 1 Tbls. olive oil
- 1 Tbls. taco seasoning
- Mix everything together in a large bowl, using your hands or tongs to make sure the
slaw is well coated.
- Let chill for at least 30 minutes, but several hours is preferable.
- Swap out 1 lime for juice of ½ orange or lemon to change up the zesty flavor.
- Add any other shredded veggies you like, such as onion or carrots.
- Homemade Refried Black Beans
Homemade Refried Black Beans
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup water or bone broth
- ½ tsp. each onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, sea salt
- 1 Tbls. lime juice
- Heat water or broth in a saucepan with seasonings.
- Add beans, bring to boil, then reduce heat to simmer 5-7 minutes, mashing as you go.
The more you mash, the creamier your refried beans will be. Mash until you reach desired
- Add lime juice and let it sit for another 5 minutes (uncovered will continue to thicken,
covered will stay pretty much the same. covered with a towel to keep warm and moist.
- Add any seasonings you like. Cilantro is delicious in these! Or make it spicy with
- Make this a complete meal by mixing in roasted tomatoes and bell peppers!
- Any bean will work here. Pinto beans make a traditional refried bean, whereas chickpeas
make more of a Mediterranean bean dish.
Modified from original recipe www.joyfoodsunshine.com
- Perfect Taco Bar
Perfect Taco Bar
BASE (choose 1)
- Homemade or store-bought tortillas
- Homemade or store-bought tortilla chips
- Cauliflower rice
PROTEIN (choose 1-2)
- Beans or homemade refried beans
- Grilled chicken
- Grilled or baked white fish (cod, tilapia, mahi mahi)
- Flank steak
- Vegan chorizo
- Crumbled, sautéed tofu
- Citrus slaw
- Roasted vegetable medley (zucchini, bell peppers, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms)
- Roasted corn
- Raw veggies (tomatoes, onion, lettuce, cabbage)
- Avocado or guacamole
- Salsas or hot sauce
- Feta or shredded mozzarella cheese
- Taco seasoning & sea salt
- Roast or grill any vegetables in avocado oil and taco seasoning. Use same oil, seasoning
and some lime juice to prepare desired proteins.
- Choose your items and set them out for people to assemble as tacos, bowls or even
- If preparing nachos, layer toppings onto sheetpan of chips, cover with cheese and
broil a few minutes until melted.
- Roasted Mini Bell Pepper Snacks
Roasted Mini Bell Pepper Snacks
- Set oven to 400.
- Lay bell peppers on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes until
soft and blackened to your liking.
- Enjoy as a snack on their own or dipped in guacamole or bean dip! Delicious and pretty
on a party platter!
- Serve as a side dish alone or drizzle with olive oil and lime juice.
- Chop up for use in fajitas or tacos.
- Blend with lime juice and spices for a yummy spread.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar for a Mediterranean flavor.
- Skinny Citrus Margarita
Skinny Citrus Margarita
- 3oz tequila
- Juice of 2 oranges
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 can sparkling water (lime or lemon flavored is even better!)
- Sea salt or smoky sea salt
- Shake together tequila with citrus juices.
- Pour into two cups rimmed with sea salt, add ice and top off with sparkling water.
Sprinkle with sea salt on top to serve.
- Also delicious with mezcal for a smoky flavor.
- Add jalapeno slices for a spicy margarita!
- Ditch the tequila and it’s a yummy mocktail!