Board Meeting Briefs, Januay 13 , 2021
December 17, 2020 - 08:01 AM
Meeting Date: Jan. 13, 2021 Location: Via teleconference Next Meeting: Feb. 24, 2021
The Board upheld the administrative decision in the Appeal of Administrative Determination - Unlawful Discrimination Complaint (Pursuant to AP 3435 - Discrimination and Harassment Investigations).
MOMENT OF SILENCE
The Board observed a moment of silence for Public Safety Officer Anthony Kelly. He passed on December 18, of a non-COVID related medical issue. Officer Kelly, as he was typically known, had been part of the Mt. SAC family since 1997 and a valued member of our Police and Campus Safety Department. During those years, he developed and nurtured close working relationships with his co-workers, campus staff and faculty, and students.
The Board observed a moment of silence for Custodian Manny Rivera, who passed on December 31, 2020. Manny had been a member of the Custodial Services team for 14 years and was part of a three-person team that serviced Building 61. He was a fiercely loyal and dedicated member of the Mt. SAC family that accepted any work that came his way.
CAMPUS LEADERSHIP REPORTS
Reports were given by Academic Senate, Classified Senate, Faculty Association, CSEA 262, Foundation, and Management Steering. Detailed reports will be reflected in the official minutes when posted online.
INFORMATIONAL REPORT – DUAL ENROLLMENT
For the 2020-21 academic year, Mt. SAC offered online courses for dual enrollment due to the COVID health climate. Mt. SAC provided 9 Summer online courses that served 180 dual enrollment students. The total pass rate for Summer was 97%. Mt. SAC provided a total of 55 Fall semester courses which served over 1,500 dual enrollment students. The total pass rate for Fall was 92%. Mt. SAC plans to have an additional 19 Winter courses, and 37 Spring semester courses. This will total 120 dual enrollment courses for the 2020-21 academic year, an increase of 34% from the previous academic year.
The program collaborates with 28 high schools within 12 school districts. Mt. SAC serves the following high schools: Mt. SAC Early College Academy, West Covina, Edgewood, Walnut, I-Poly, Ganesha, Diamond Ranch, Village Academy, Garey, Pomona, Fremont Academy of Engineering and Design, Park West, Pomona Catholic, Bonita, San Dimas, Los Altos, Workman, La Puente, Wilson, Rowland, Nogales, Santana, Baldwin Park, Sierra Vista, North Park, Bassett, Covina, Northview, and South Hills.
The Mt. SAC Early College Academy is thriving with high school students taking Mt. SAC college courses at the high school beginning their 10th grade year. There are currently 229 students enrolled at the Academy (82 in ninth grade, 81 in 10th grade, and 66 in 11th grade.
For the upcoming 2021-2022 academic year, Mt. SAC will bring on two partner high schools - Palomares Academy of Health Sciences in Baldwin Park and Charter Oak High School in Covina.
- Approved the Consent Calendar, with the following pulled and approved separately:
- Contract Agreement with Dr. Gina Ann Garcia to Provide Consultation Services Related to the Mt. SAC Title V Grant Project Implementation
- Held a Public Hearing Regarding Initial Proposals for Year Two-of-Three Re-opener Agreement, July 1, 2020, through June 30, 2023, Between the District and CSEA, Chapter 651
- Held a Public Hearing Regarding Initial Proposals for Year Two-of-Three Re-opener Agreement, July 1, 2020, through June 30, 2023, Between the District and CSEA, Chapter 262
- Approved an Agreement with HPI Architecture for the Campus Store and Instruction Offices Building and Elevated Bridge
- Approved an Agreement with Tilden-Coil Constructors for Construction Management Services - Pedestrian Bridge and Temple Avenue Green Corridor
- Took no action in nominations for California Community College Trustees Board of Directors
- 2021 Accreditation Midterm Report
Dr. Manuel Baca, Jay Chen, Gary Chow, Judy Chen Haggerty, Esq.
Peter Hidalgo, Robert Hidalgo, Laura Santos
Sophia Ruiz, Student Trustee
Dr. William T. Scroggins, President & CEO