Psychiatric Technician to RN, AS S1209Program: S1209
Looking for guidance? A counselor can help.This Guided Pathways for Success (GPS) is a suggested sequence of coursework needed for program completion. It is not an official educational plan. Schedule an appointment with a counselor or advisor as soon as possible to create an individualized Mountie Academic Plan (MAP) specific to your goals and needs.
To speak with a counselor, please visit www.mtsac.edu/counseling or call the Counseling Department at (909) 274-4380
Suggested Sequence of CourseworkIndicates Courses Offered Online
Fall Semester (Year 1)
|ENGL 1A||Freshman Composition||4.0|
|CHEM 10||Chemistry-Allied Health Majors||4.0|
|CHEM 40||(or) Introduction General Chemistry|
|ANAT 10A||Introductory Human Anatomy||4.0|
CHEM 10, ANAT 10A/B, MICR 22, CHLD 10 or PSYC 14 GE/graduation requirements as noted Psychiatric Techician Certificate holder complete Psychiatric TechnicianAS holder complete only
Winter Semester (Year 1)
|SPCH 1A||Public Speaking||4.0|
|AA/S KINES||Phys Ed (KIN) Activity Course||0.5|
Spring Semester (Year 1)
|ANAT 10B||Introductory Human Physiology||4.0|
|AA/S MATH||Meet AA/AS Math Comptcy Req||3.0|
|AA/S ARTS||Area C-1 Arts Course||3.0|
|CHLD 10||Child Growth & Lifespan Dev||3.0|
|PSYC 14||(or) Developmental Psychology|
Summer Semester (Year 1)
|PSYC 1A||Introduction to Psychology||3.0|
Fall Semester (Year 2)
|AA/S HUM||Area C-2 Humanities Course||4.0|
|AA/S USHIS||Area D-1 Hist/Pol Sc Course||3.0|
|MICR 1||Principles of Microbiology||4.0|
|MICR 22||(or) Microbiology|
Fall Semester (Year 3)
|NURS 3||MSN: Locom/Sens/Integ/Onc/Immu||3.5|
|NURS 4||Maternity Nursing||3.0|
|NURS 6||Pediatric Nursing||3.0|
Spring Semester (Year 3)
|NURS 7||Med-Surg-Ntr/Elim/Surg Asepsis||7.0|
Fall Semester (Year 4)
|NURS 8||Med-Surg Nursing Circ & Oxygen||5.0|
|NURS 9||Leadership in Nursing||1.0|
|NURS 10||Med-Surg Nurs Integ/Regulation||4.0|
|NURS 11||Preceptorship in Nursing||2.0|
Psychiatric Technician to RN, AS S1209 Submit petition to Admissions & Records
Total number of Units
70% of students pay close to nothing with financial aid. Compare costs.
Total Number of Units: 72
Degree requirements include reading competency. This requirement is met by attaining eligibility for READ 100. You may complete READ 90 or take the reading placement exam and earn a 65 or higher (eligibility for READ 100).
Nursing Program: https://www.mtsac.edu/nursing/application.html
Multiple Screening Criteria: https://www.mtsac.edu/nursing/multicriteriascreening.html
Information Sessions: https://www.mtsac.edu/nursing/informationalmeetings.html
Nursing Prerequisite Requirements:
- Human Anatomy, including a laboratory component (4 units)
- Human Physiology, including a laboratory component (4 units)
- Microbiology, including a laboratory component (4 units)
- ENGL 1A Freshman Composition (4 units)
- PSYC 1A Introduction to Psychology (3 units)
- CHLD 10 Child Growth and Lifespan Development (3 units)
- or PSYC 14 Developmental Psychology (3 units)
- An overall grade point average of 2.5 for the Human Anatomy, Human Physiology and Microbiology prerequisite courses with no grade less than a “C” for each course and no more than one repetition of any one of these courses.
- A cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 for all college coursework completed.
- Eligibility for MATH 71 (Preferably MATH 71 or a college level math course completed).
- High school graduation or GED or academic degree from an accredited college/university in the United States.
- Possess a current, active California Licensed Vocational Nurse license.
- A physical examination, including specific immunizations is required of all candidates prior to the beginning of nursing classes.
- Current Healthcare Provider CPR certification.
Criminal background check and drug screening must be completed prior to any patient contact