Shelter in Place Procedures
During certain emergencies — such as an active shooter on campus, weather emergencies, hazardous chemical spills, biological or radioactive material releases — students, faculty and staff may be directed to “shelter in place” rather than evacuate the building.
In these types of emergency situations, notification of the type of emergency and direction to shelter in place will be communicated through the campus emergency notification system or direction from the Department of Police and Campus Safety Department personnel, Building Marshals, Floor Captains, phone tree notification over campus department extensions, and campuswide e-mail notification.
If directed to shelter in place:
- Stay inside the building or find a safe place to shelter in.
- Close and lock the door if in a classroom.
- Make sure all windows are closed and stand clear of any windows.
- Remain in shelter until notified otherwise by the Department of Police and Campus Safety or emergency personnel.
- If the emergency involves an active shooter on campus, lock the building and room doors if safe to do so, turn off room lights and cell phones, and remain quiet and in place until you are contacted by the Department of Police and Campus Safety or emergency personnel.
A link to “Shots Fired,” a video providing information on what to do to protect oneself in a situation involving an active shooter on campus, is provided on this page.