Office of Instruction
Due in part to recent changes in the Faculty Contract, the Instruction Office began coordinating and processing Work Experience (WE) documentation beginning Fall 2012. The new contract language can be found in Article 10.0 of the faculty agreement.
The primary changes in Work Experience are as follows:
- WE is now subject to load limitations (maximum allowable assignment beyond Basic Assignment or as adjunct load is 10 LHE).
- Students participating in WE must be enrolled in an existing CTE program offered at the college and must have completed at least 1/3 of the units required for the program OR must have completed a class or be concurrently enrolled in a class with a ‘C’ level SAM code in the same TOPS code as the CTE program.
- The professor of the WE course must verify that the student is eligible for WE as outlined in the bullet above.
- Full-time classified staff can direct or supervise WE students.
- The professor of the WE course cannot be the supervisor for students enrolled in the course.
- Work must be performed during the scheduled term (unless authorized in advance with the Instruction Office, under extenuating circumstances).
- Each 75 hours of paid work and 60 hours of non-paid work is equal to one semester unit of credit.
The following are the required forms, including the deadlines for submission:
|Phase I - WE Process||Due at the beginning of the semester|
|Phase I - WE Forms Check-List||Due at the beginning of the semester|
|General Information Form||End of the second week of the term*|
|Learning Contract||End of the second week of the term*|
|WE Program Waiver Form||End of the second week of the term*|
|Phase II - WE Process||Due at the end of the semester|
|Phase II - WE Forms Check-List||Due at the end of the semester|
|Mid-Term Assessment Report||Tuesday following the last day of the term|
|Student Work & Hours Report-Final Evaluation||Tuesday following the last day of the term|
|Payroll Report||Tuesday following the last day of the term|
|Monthly Work Experience Time Sheet||Tuesday following the last day of the term|
*If the worksite is new, faculty may submit the information by the end of the fourth week of the semester.
The following are helpful informational documents:
We look forward to working with you this semester. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Dr. Joumana McGowan - Associate Vice President, Instruction, Extension 5140
Marlyn Lanuza - Executive Assistant to the Associate Vice President of Instruction, Extension 4683