Financial Aid Programs

Mt San Antonio College participates in federal and state programs for grants, loans waivers and work-study.

Gift Aid

Gift aid, as the name implies, does not have to be repaid and does not require a work commitment on the part of the recipient. It consists of grants and scholarships from federal, state, institutional, and private sources. Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, and other federal, state, institutional, and private scholarship and grant programs fall into the category of gift aid.


Self Help Aid

Self-help aid, on the other hand, does require either repayment or a work commitment on the part of the recipient. Federal Perkins Loans, FFEL and Direct Loans made to students, FFEL and Direct PLUS loans made to parents, as well as state, institutional and private loan sources are examples of self-help aid. Money earned though the Federal Work-Study Program, state work-Study programs, and institutional need-based employment are also categorized as self-help aid.


Board of Governors' Fee Waiver Program

If you are classified as a California Resident, you may be eligible to have your enrollment fees and health fees waived by the State of California. You may be eligible for this fee waiver even if you are not eligible for any other financial assistance.

There are three different ways to qualify for a fee waiver:

  1. You (or your parents) are receiving public assistance in the form of Aid to Families with Dependent Children, General Relief, Supplemental Security Income or certification as a Dependent of a qualified Veteran. OR
  2. You (or your parents) meet the income criteria. OR
  3. You have financial need as a result of completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

This application is good for one academic year beginning with the Summer Session and uses the most current past years annual earnings.

back to top


Cal Grant Programs

Cal Grants are State grants that are awarded by the California Student Aid Commission  (CSAC). To apply for a Cal Grant, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and have a Grade Point Average Verification form sent to the CSAC by March 2nd for the following academic school year you are applying to.

Mt. SAC distributes both Cal Grant B and Cal Grant C awards to our students.  The Cal Grant B Program is intended to help high-potential students from disadvantaged/low-income families. Most new Cal Grant B awards are available only to students who have completed no more than one semester of college or 16 units of part-time study.  There are 250 special Cal Grant B awards authorized for community college students transferring to four-year colleges and universities.

Cal Grant B awards are up to $1,551 per academic year and may be renewed up to four years.Cal Grant C Program helps vocational students.  Cal Grant C may not be used to pursue a four-year degree program.  Students must be enrolled in a vocational program to receive this grant.  Cal Grant C is $576 at a community college.

A and B Entitlement Award
  • Every High School Senior who meets the academic requirement of a 2.0 GPA for Cal Grant B and falls within the established income and asset ceilings, and applies on time, will receive a Cal Grant A or B Entitlement award.

  • Apply no later than March 2 of the academic year of high school graduation, or apply no later than March 2 of the academic year following high school graduation.

Cal Grant B Competitive Awards (continuing program)
  • Students not receiving a Cal Grant B Entitlement award can compete for the 22,500 Competitive awards.
  • Of the awards set aside for Competitive awards, half are for Community College students who apply by the second deadline date of September 2.

back to top


Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant Program is for undergraduate students who have not yet completed a first baccalaureate or professional degree. Students may receive Federal Pell Grants for the period of time necessary to complete a first undergraduate baccalaureate degree, provided the student is making satisfactory progress towards the completion of that degree.

The beauty of the Federal Pell Grant is its portability. If a student applies, demonstrates financial need, and meets all of the eligibility criteria, he or she will receive a Pell Grant at any eligible school attended. Unlike other federal aid programs, the receipt of a Pell Grant does not depend upon the availability of funds at a particular school.

Eligibility for a Federal Pell Grant is determined by the Federal Methodology formula that computes the Expected Family Contribution. The aid administrator at the student's school must calculate the actual amount of the student's award based upon the student's EFC, cost of attendance, and whether the student is enrolled full or part time.

The maximum amount of the Federal Pell Grant is set annually by Congress. The maximum yearly Pell Grant is $5,550.

Pell Grants are designed to help the neediest students. A student who is not eligible for a Pell Grant may be eligible for other federal aid. The total amount of aid a student receives, including a Federal Pell Grant, cannot exceed the student's cost of attendance. As with all other federal aid programs, students must reapply for a Federal Pell Grant every school (or academic) year.

back to top


Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

FSEOG is a campus-based financial aid program. This means that each college participating in the program receives a set amount of money to distribute to students. The regulations governing FSEOG require that funds be awarded first to the "neediest" financial aid students or those with the lowest income. In addition priority must be given to federal Pell Grant recipients.

To apply for a FSEOG at Mt. SAC, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). In addition, because the amount of funding in FSEOG is limited, FSEOG awards will be given first to those applicants who have completed their financial aid files by the Mt. SAC First Priority Deadline, April 15.

back to top


Federal Perkins Loan

The Federal Perkins Loan Program is a campus-based financial aid program. This means that each college that participates in the program receives a set amount of funding available for disbursement to students.

This is a loan which must be repaid.

To apply for a Perkins Loan you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). By federal regulation, Perkins loans must be given to the "neediest" students, or those with the lowest income.

Currently, there is a very small amount of Perkins Loan money available at Mt. SAC. Priority is given to continuing students who have completed their financial aid file by the April 15th First Priority Deadline.

Mt. San Antonio College Code of Conduct for Education Loans.

back to top


Federal Direct Loan Program

Federal William D Ford Direct Loan Program

The William D Ford Direct Loan Program is financial aid in the form of a loan from the Department of Education and it is administered directly with the United States Department of Education. There are loan fees associated with these loans, which are charged by the lender. Mt. San Antonio College offers three types of loans through this program: Subsidized, Unsubsidized and Parent PLUS.  Click on the following link to download the Parent PLUS loan application:

Mt. San Antonio College participates in the Direct Loan Program only and does not certify private or alternative loans.

Student loans must be repaid. The subsidized loan is based on financial need and the federal government pays the interest on the loan as long as the student is enrolled at least half-time. The interest on an unsubsidized loan is the student's responsibility and continues to accrue from disbursement of loan proceeds through repayment of the loan. This means that your principal balance will increase (you will owe more than what you originally borrowed) unless you choose to make interest payment while in school and during your grace period.
Per Federal regulations and because borrowing a Direct Loan is a privilege, the institution reserves the right to refuse to certify a loan application on a case by case basis.

Please consider student loans only as a last resort and only after you have applied for other forms of financial aid, such as scholarships! To apply for Scholarships, click here.

If you are interested in applying for a Direct Student Loan please note the following:

  • You must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at
  • Complete the financial aid process
  • You must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 units
  • You must be maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress with no pending appeals
  • You must attend a Loan Entrance Counseling session

Mt. San Antonio College Code of Conduct for Education Loans.

back to top


Federal Work Study

The Work Study programs give students the opportunity to earn part or all of their financial need by working on campus or off campus in community service positions while they are in school. Examples of the jobs available are: teacher's aide, clerk, grounds person, custodian, and lab assistant. Your wage will be determined by the type and difficulty of the work that you choose.

This type of part-time work can add to your educational experience and can be a valuable asset when seeking employment after graduation.

The Work Study award reflects the amount of money that you are eligible to earn as wages. Your placement on a job depends upon your skills, the availability of jobs, and the hours that you are available to work.

Students with Work Study eligibility must visit the Job Placement Office for a job referral appointment. Students eligible to participate in the Work Study Program will be referred to a job and, if hired, complete the necessary payroll paperwork.

back to top


Extended Opportunity Program and Services

Provided by the EOPS office at ex. 4500, EOPS is designed for students with academic and financial disadvantages. Support services provid planning, peer advising, tutoring, book services and grants. CARE provides additional support services to EOPS Students who are single parents on public assistance. Students must meet State eligibility criteria in order to be eligible for EOPS and CARE services.

back to top


Mt. SAC Emergency Loans

Mt. SAC offers short term loans at the beginning of the Fall and Spring semesters, to aid in the purchase of books.  These loans are designed for students who have not yet received their financial aid, and need assistance with the purchase of text books.  These loans are 30-day, $100 loans and interest-free if repaid within the 30 day period. Mt. SAC has a limited amount of Institutional funding for these loans, so it is recommended that you visit the Financial Aid Office with in the first two days of each semester if you are interested in receiving one of these limited loans.

The basic requirements are:

  • Have a 2.0 GPA or be a first time student
  • Be enrolled in 12 units or more
  • Not currently receiving financial aid (except a BOGG waiver)
  • Not currently on the Mt. SAC obligation list
  • No other short term loans outstanding