The Financial Aid Process
Steps to Apply
- Fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on the web as early as possible. This may be done online at FAFSA on the Web. You will need the following to complete the form:
- Most recent tax returns and W-2 forms (yours and your parents if you are under 24)
- Your driver’s license number
- Your social security number
- Your alien registration number if applicable
- A pin number, www.pin.ed.gov (and another one for your parents if you are a dependent student)
- Mt. SAC School Code 001245
Within two weeks, you will receive your Student Aid Report (SAR). It will list the information that you provided on the FAFSA as well as an Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The EFC is used to determine your eligibility. It is based on your dependency status, family income, and other factors. If you submitted your e-mail address, the form will come via e-mail. Mt SAC also receives the report electronically and will request additional forms to complete your file.
- Check the SAR for accuracy. For corrections, return online and make the changes immediately. Please allow at least five days for Mt SAC to receive your corrected information. If no changes are needed, retain the form for your records.
- Once you receive the SAR, view your application status to find the additional forms you may need to complete your file. Click on MyMtSAC and log in with your user ID and password. Then choose the Financial Tab. Additional forms are listed under Financial Aid Requirements.
- If your mailing address changes at any point during your time as an applicant or recipient of Financial Aid, log on to MyMtSAC and update your mailing address.
Navigating the MyMTSAC Portal