Frequently Asked Questions

How often do you give placement tests?

The placement tests are offered year-round.  Depending on the time of the year, the tests are administered 5 to 10 times a week.  Students must make an appointment to take the placement tests.  Students must have an application on file prior to making an appointment for the placement tests.  It is recommended that students take the placement tests and see a counselor before their registration date.

Which tests should students take?

All new Mt. SAC students should take the writing, reading, and math placement test. 

How often can a student take a placement test?

A student may retest after three months.

How long are placement tests valid?

Test results are valid for two years.

How long does it take for students to receive test results?

Reading, math and chemistry placement test results are usually ready on the same day, at the latest, the following morning.  Writing test results vary from one to three working days.

How do I get my test results?

Test results are available online on the student portal or you may return to the Assessment Center with a photo I.D.  Test results will not be given over the telephone.

Is there information to help students prepare for the placement tests?

We have test information available online.

Do you accept placement tests from other colleges?

We only accept the Mathematics Diagnostic Testing Project's Elementary Algebra Diagnostic Test, Intermediate Algebra Diagnostic Test, and Precalculus Diagnostic Test for math if taken within the past two years.  We do not accept English placement test results from other colleges.

Can you send the test results to another college?

Yes.  Student must complete the Release Test Results Form.  We will only release your test results to another college.  Test results will not be released to a private party.

Do you have career/interest assessments?

If a student wishes to take a career/interest assessment, the student must make an appointment with a counselor in the Counseling Department.

If a student has a disability and needs special accommodations, what are the options?
Students with disabilities who may need special accommodations to take the placement test should make arrangements with the Accessibility Resource Centers for Students.