Mt. SAC credit students may join the Mountie MakerSpace as a benefit of their normal
Mt. SAC fees.
To join, please come to the MakerSpace during open hours, find a MakerSpace employee and ask to join the MakerSpace. There will be a MakerSpace membership form to fill out, you will put your information into our database, then you will get a safety tour, total about 20-30 minutes. You will also need to go to your portal on a phone or computer to add a zero unit, free non-credit Makerspace class. Adding this class enables the Mountie MakerSpace to receive money from California for your time spent here, which allows the doors to stay open.
What you need:
* your A# and portal password
* closed-toe shoes on your feet
* an open attitude
A MakerSpace is a physical location where people gather to share resources and knowledge, work on projects, share ideas, and build; like a community center with tools.
Students may use the Mountie MakerSpace as a benefit of their normal Mt. SAC fees and tuition. Mt. SAC Faculty, Staff , Managers and all community members who are at least 18 years of age may also sign up for free.
WHERE: Mt. SAC Building F7 (South East corner of campus)
Monday through Friday, except holidays
Members may use hand tools, 3D printers, vinyl cutter, heat transfer machines, laser
cutter etc. after joining. MakerSpace employees can provide support for those .
Safety Certification is required for use of some corded tools, and further Certification is required to use large-scale machinery.
We can recommend classes to learn how to use machines.
- CNC Router
- Band Saws
- Drill Presses
- Table Saw
- Manual Lathes
- Manual Mills
- Band Saws
- CNC Mill
- Sandblast Cabinet
- TIG Welder
- Other Welders
- Tube Benders
- Hydraulic Press
- Arbor Press
- Plasma Cutter
- 3D Printers
- Vinyl Cutter
- Heat Transfer Presses
- Laser Cutter
- Sewing and Serging Machines
- Button Makers (1.5" and 2.25")
NOTE: you must already be a MakerSpace member before you may reserve any equipment.
You also may not reserve more than one piece of equipment during any time period.
Many machines are very popular. A reservation system is currently in place for the
following machines (NOT required)
CraftBot 3D printers, Laser Cutter/Engraver, Sewing/Embroidery Machine, Vinyl Cutter, Band Saw, Lathe, CNC Router, CNC Mill and Plasma Cutter
Create a reservation to use a specific MakerSpace tool
- You may reserve a machine from the Dashboard page (linked in blue box above)
- The login is your student A number
- The password is the word "password" without the quotation marks, all lower case
- View Calendar: Schedule > Bookings
- Time is limited to 4 Hrs for 3D Printers & 2 Hours for all others
- Reservations must be made at least 12 hours in advance
- You may not reserve a piece of equipment that you are not qualified to use
You must be signed in on the sign in computer of the MakerSpace at least 5 minutes before your reservation
MakerSpace is a physical location where people gather to share resources and knowledge, work on projects, share ideas, and build; like a community center with tools.
Have an Idea?
Mountie MakerSpace faculty and staff can meet with faculty individually or in groups to discuss potential projects, assignments or components of instruction. Please contact us to schedule a meeting or series of meetings.
Classes and clubs may be able to schedule visits or activities in the Mountie MakerSpace, depending on staff availability.
Businesses and community groups may be able to schedule visits or activities in the Mountie MakerSpace, depending on staff availability.
Individuals interested in conducting workshops about making at the Mountie MakerSpace may contact us to make arrangements.
|Professor Martin Mason||Faculty Lead|
|Mala Arthur||Project Manager|
|Ben Roslof||MakerSpace Technician|
|Trent Wilson||MakerSpace Technician|
|Marie Galvan||MakerSpace Financial Wizard|
If you would like to donate, we would appreciate that very much!
As you know, the Mountie MakerSpace is more than just a machine shop.
- to donate some funds, which will be used for materials, supplies, small repairs and food items for our meetups, donate here (or go to the Mt. SAC webpage, click over to the Foundation page and follow along): https://mtsac.thankyou4caring.org/GiveNow, then click on the amount you would like to give, at the bottom of that list of amounts is a pull-down menu, click on that and choose “Mt. SAC Makerspace Fund”. Then fill out the rest of the form and hit “Donate Now” at the bottom left of the form (scroll down).
- send us a story about how the Mountie MakerSpace has changed your life or made a difference, or about a particular project that you worked on at the MakerSpace, which was difficult, interesting or productive. Photos or diagrams are a plus, if you have them, but they are not required. Having interesting stories helps us to show potential funding sources that we take care of our members, that everyone is welcome, that people push through failures to get to success, and that we are making a difference in people’s lives.