Technology and Health Division
The Mammography certificate program at Mt. SAC is a two semester certificate program available to current Mt. SAC Radiologic Technology (RT) program students. The program provides a complete educational experience for those RT students who wish to expand their skills into the study in the theory and practice of mammography. Students will have the opportunity to learn and develop competence in patient care, communication skills, critical thinking, and technical skills that will prepare the student to become a competent entry level Mammographer.
The program curriculum is designed to meet the mammography educational training requirements set forth by the FDA Mammography Quality Standards Act (MQSA), the California Department of Public Health Services- Radiologic Health Branch (RHB), and the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT). The educational standards established by the American Society of Radiologic Technologists (ASRT) are also incorporated into the curriculum. Educational activities include lecture, laboratory activities, and hands-on clinical training at a clinical site.
The program includes:
- MQSA and RHB 40 hours of documented training specific to mammography requirement
- ARRT 16 hour structured education requirement
- Eight hours of digital mammography training
- MQSA hands-on clinical experience requirements (25 supervised mammograms)
- Course work in breast anatomy/physiology, patient care, mammography procedures, positioning, compression, interventional procedures, imaging of patients with breast implants, pathology, image evaluation, instrumentation, technique, physics, and quality assurance/quality control
All didactic courses will be offered on campus. Clinical training will be conducted at affiliated healthcare institutions (days and times will vary depending on clinical education site).
Upon completion of the program, the student receives a certificate of completion from Mt. San Antonio College. Current Diagnostic CA Radiologic Technologists (CRT’s) will be eligible to sit for the CA state certification in Mammographic Radiologic Technology examination. In addition, the program will prepare the student for the ARRT Mammography certification exam.