High School Equivalency (HSE) Preparation (GED/HiSET)
The General Education Development (GED) Test and the HiSET both measure your knowledge and academic skills against those of today's traditional high school graduates. Students who pass the GED or HiSET test will be granted a California High School Equivalency (HSE) Certificate.
Adult Basic Education offers two ways to prepare for the GED or HiSET: on-campus preparation in the Adult Basic Education Lab and through Distance Learning. Both programs have similar instruction, but the Distance Learning program offers a flexible at-home study format.
General Education Development (GED) Preparation is offered in each of the four subject areas of the GED test. These areas are:
- Reasoning through Language Arts
- Mathematical Reasoning
- Social Studies
HiSET Preparation is offered in each of the five subject areas of the HiSET. These areas are:
- Language Arts – Reading
- Language Arts – Writing
- Social Studies
Steps to your HSE Certificate
- Schedule an Orientation by calling (909) 274-4937
- Pre-Testing Assessment is provided in all subject areas of the GED and HiSET. Pre-and post-testing are emphasized to focus on the necessary areas of study
- Meet with a Counselor Make an educational plan, develop strategies for accomplishing your goals, and receive assistance with college and career planning
- Study (Computer, text-based, or classes) An Adult Learning Plan (ALP) is developed after pre-testing. Students set their own hours for study and instructors monitor progress
- Take the Official GED or HiSET Exam Once the objectives of the ALP have been completed, an instructor will refer the student for the Official Exam at a designated testing site
- Earn the High School Equivalency Certificate and Graduate! A cap and gown graduation is held in June of each year on the Mt. SAC campus. A counselor or advisor will assist you with continuing on your educational or career path
For information on the HSE Preparation Program or the HSE Distance Learning, please call (909) 274-4937 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.