In-Home Support Services (SOC CODE: 39-9021.00)
Assist the elderly, convalescents, or persons with disabilities with daily living activities at the person's home or in a care facility. Duties performed at a place of residence may include keeping house making beds, doing laundry, washing dishes and preparing meals. May provide assistance at non-residential care facilities. May advise families, the elderly, convalescents, and persons with disabilities regarding such things as nutrition, cleanliness, and household activities.
- Personal Care Aides
- Home Health Aides
- Psychiatric Aides
- Personal Care and Service Workers, All Other
- Nursing Assistants
- Childcare Workers
- Rehabilitation Counselors
- Psychiatric Technicians
- Medical Assistants
- Health Specialties Teachers, Postsecondary
- Administer bedside or personal care, such as ambulation or personal hygiene assistance.
- Prepare and maintain records of client progress and services performed, reporting changes in client condition to manager or supervisor.
- Perform healthcare-related tasks, such as monitoring vital signs and medication, under the direction of registered nurses or physiotherapists.
- Participate in case reviews, consulting with the team caring for the client, to evaluate the client's needs and plan for continuing services.
- Care for individuals or families during periods of incapacitation, family disruption, or convalescence, providing companionship, personal care, or help in adjusting to new lifestyles.
- Plan, shop for, or prepare nutritious meals or assist families in planning, shopping for, or preparing nutritious meals.
- Transport clients to locations outside the home, such as to physicians' offices or on outings, using a motor vehicle.
- Perform housekeeping duties, such as cooking, cleaning, washing clothes or dishes, or running errands.
- Instruct or advise clients on issues such as household cleanliness, utilities, hygiene, nutrition, or infant care.
- Provide clients with communication assistance, typing their correspondence or obtaining information for them.
$22,300 - $25,700
$10.71 - $12.36
Projected New Jobs Annually In CA
Projected Annual Job Openings refers to the average annual job openings due to growth
and net replacement.
- In-Home Support Services
This short-term vocational sequence prepares students to become personal care attendants in the home or in a health care facility. This program is specifically for noncredit students who are seeking training in the health field for immediate entry-level employment. Furthermore, this program will also provide foundational health skills for students to enter into more advanced health career programs such as Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA). A career development course is also provided to increase employability and work skills. Students must pass both core courses to earn the In Home Support Services Certificate of Completion.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students will be proficient in personal care tasks.
- Students will be employed or seeking employment in the field or a related field.
Review Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs) for this program.
|In-Home Support Service|