Pet Science (SOC CODE: 39-2021.00)
Feed, water, groom, bathe, exercise, or otherwise care for pets and other nonfarm animals, such as dogs, cats, ornamental fish or birds, zoo animals, and mice. Work in settings such as kennels, animal shelters, zoos, circuses, and aquariums. May keep records of feedings, treatments, and animals received or discharged. May clean, disinfect, and repair cages, pens, or fish tanks.
- Nonfarm Animal Caretakers
- Personal Care Aides
- Veterinary Assistants and Laboratory Animal Caretakers
- Farmworkers, Farm, Ranch, and Aquacultural Animals
- First-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
- Home Health Aides
- Healthcare Social Workers
- Critical Care Nurses
- Animal Control Workers
- Feed and water animals according to schedules and feeding instructions.
- Mix food, liquid formulas, medications, or food supplements according to instructions, prescriptions, and knowledge of animal species.
- Examine and observe animals to detect signs of illness, disease, or injury.
- Provide treatment to sick or injured animals, or contact veterinarians to secure treatment.
- Do facility laundry and clean, organize, maintain, and disinfect animal quarters, such as pens and stables, and equipment, such as saddles and bridles.
- Collect and record animal information, such as weight, size, physical condition, treatments received, medications given, and food intake.
- Perform animal grooming duties, such as washing, brushing, clipping, and trimming coats, cutting nails, and cleaning ears.
- Answer telephones and schedule appointments.
- Adjust controls to regulate specified temperature and humidity of animal quarters, nurseries, or exhibit areas.
- Discuss with clients their pets' grooming needs.
$23,000 - $31,500
$11.06 - $15.14
Projected New Jobs Annually In CA
Projected Annual Job Openings refers to the average annual job openings due to growth
and net replacement.
- Pet Science
This certificate program is designed to give students basic skills in production and marketing of pets at the wholesale and retail level.
|Animal Handling & Restraint|
|Animal Sanitation and Disease Control|
|Pet Shop Management|
|Tropical and Coldwater Fish Management|
|Aviculture - Cage and Aviary Birds|
|Small Business Management|