ASAC Online Tutoring
The Academic Support & Achievement Center has transitioned its tutoring services online. We provide FREE one-on-one and group tutoring (SI/ET/SG) services in multiple subjects
for current Mt. SAC students. Online tutoring by appointment is also available for
writing, math, and science. Our online tutoring is conducted via Zoom, a virtual environment
where tutors collaborate with students to assist them with their questions. Video,
audio, and share screen capabilities are available. Please read below for information
on how to access our our online tutors.
- April 15th (Wednesday) - April 17th (Friday)
12PM - 4PM
Starting April 20th
Monday - Thurday: 9AM - 7PM
Friday: 9AM - 4:30PM
Saturday: 9AM - 4PMHours subject to change without notice. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for the most up to date information.
- Students must first self-register for the ASAC tutoring CRN(s) on the Portal. Click here for the complete list of ASAC tutoring CRNs and the steps in registering.
After successfully registring, login in to Canvas and go to the "ASAC Online Tutoring" course.
Inside the course, click the type of tutoring service you are interested in using (drop-In tutoring, scheduling tutoring appointments, or SI/ET/SG tutoring).
Our drop-in and appointment online tutoring services are housed in to two virtual rooms by subjects: writing humanities/social sciences and math/sciences. Read the policies and procedures before selecting the the subject that your are interested in getting tutoring in. You will be directed to our Zoom virtual tutoring room.
NOTE: If you are a first time Zoom user, you will need to either install the Zoom app on your device or use Google Chrome to use the web version of Zoom. Please use your Mt. SAC email when signing in.
- After being directed from Canvas to Zoom, you will be prompted to complete a Zoom registration form. Please enter your full name, Mt. SAC email address, Mt. SAC student ID number, and the course you are seeking assistance in.
- After completing the form, you will be placed in a queue inside the Zoom waiting room. Have your Mt. SAC email and student ID number ready you are admitted in the tutoring room. Note that the check-in process may take up to 3 minutes per student since students are admitted inside the tutoring room one by one to ensure quality of service.
- Once inside the tutoring room, our front counter staff will greet you and ask for your Mt. SAC email, student ID, and the subject you are interested in getting tutoring in.
- Our front counter staff will then assign you to a tutor inside a breakout room where you will have your session. To promote independent learning, tutors will abide by the following session times: up to 30 min for humanities and social sciences and up to 20 min for math and science.
- Once your session is complete, you will be asked to exit the tutoring room by clicking the "Leave Breakout Room" located on the bottom right of your Zoom screen then selecting "Leave Meeting."
- Students are expected to have their course materials related to the assignment ready when entering the Zoom tutoring rooms. These include: assignment sheets, textbooks, class notes, and class syllabus.
- Tutors will provide suggestions on how to improve the students' work or guide students on how to solve problems. Tutors will not, however, do the students' assignment.
- In addition to content support, tutors may cover study skills strategies as needed.
- In order promote independent learning, tutors will follow tutoring time limits: up to 30 minutes per session for humanities and social science courses and up to 20 minutes for math and science courses.
- After the session is complete, students are expected to exit the tutoring room. If you need an additional session, you may sign up again by clicking on the Zoom link in the ASAC Online Tutoring course shell.
- Students are not allowed to have back-to-back sessions. Student who just finished a session for humanities and social sciences must wait at least 30 minutes before signing up again for another session. Math/science students who just finished a session must wait at least 20 minutes before signing up again.
- All students are required to abide by Mt. SAC's Standards of Conduct Policy and failure to do so may result in disciplinary action such as removal from the virtual tutoring room and/or suspending access to ASAC's online tutoring.
- Come prepared for your tutoring sessions with all the needed materials.
- Get tutoring early and often to avoid falling behind in class.
- Review your assignment and have your questions ready before your tutoring session.
- Set realistic goals you want to accomplish. Tutors will not do the work for you, but they can help you get better at doing it yourself.
- Actively participate in the tutoring session, and work with the tutor to identify and clarify areas that need strengthening.
- The Zoom app is available on different devices, but to get the most out of your session, we recommend that you use a laptop or desktop computer when accessing our online tutors. For questions, please email Lester Lawenko at email@example.com or Rafael Delgado at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:TROUBLE SHOOTING TIPS:
To learn more about Zoom's system requirements and supported devices, please click here.
- Audio Zoom support page
- Video Zoom support page
- In the event that your audio fails during your tutoring session, please communicate this issue to the tutor via the chat box inside Zoom.
- In the event that your internet connection becomes unstable, please disable your Zoom video. Also, check if other devices in your surrounding are using the same connection. Turn off those devices since they maybe causing your internet to become unstable.
- If you are experiencing issues with your wireless connection, try to be as near as possible to your WiFi router/modem to maintain a stable connection.
- When sharing your assignment via the Share Screen feature, make sure that it is open.
- If you are experiencing difficulties sharing your assignment via the Share Screen, you can also upload your assignment as a file in the chat box.
- Our ASAC staff will assist you in resolving your technical difficulties to the best of their abilities. If none of the quick trouble shooting tips seem to work, you maybe asked to restart your device and rejoin the tutoring session.
- There may be times when our tutors are experiencing connectivity issues. If you are
in a tutoring session and such an issue arises, please immediately contact our front
counter by using the Ask Help feature inside your tutoring room, and we will do our
best to assign you to another available tutor.
If you get disconnected during your session, please reconnect as soon as you can, and our front counter staff will re-admit you as soon as you are in the waiting room.ZOOM SUPPORT FOR COMMONLY USED FEATURES IN A TUTORING SESSION:
YOUTUBE ZOOM TUTORIALS: