Friends of Upland Animal Shelter - Kennel Attendant
Friends of Upland Animal Shelter (Friends) is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization that is partnered with the City of Upland to perform shelter operations and adoptions. Upland Animal Shelter is an open admission animal shelter for stray animals found in Upland. Friends operates the shelter with a "no kill" philosophy (maintaining a live release rate over 90%), accepts owner surrendered animals on a case-by-case basis and acts as a "rescue" by transferring in animals from other shelters and rescues. Friends works with a network of community partners, business sponsors, adopters, donors and volunteers with our mission being to find a loving home for every adoptable animal.
Works under general supervision; General duties include keeping cages clean and sanitized; feeding and picking up after the animals; and reporting on the animal's condition to Animal Care Staff.
Job Purpose, Essential Duties & Responsibilities
To perform all duties related to sanitizing, cleaning, feeding and caring for the animals. Clean and disinfect kennels and work areas. Perform related duties as assigned. The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class. Other duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted or changed at any time at the discretion of management, either orally or in writing.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule that includes weekdays, weekends, evenings, and holidays.
- Establish, maintain and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Handle, process, assess, feed, water, and monitor the disposition of all animals.
- Clean and disinfect kennels, cages, and equipment in a sanitary manner; perform on-going and preventive maintenance tasks associated with shelter facilities and equipment.
- Cleaning the living space or cages of the animals and disinfecting it by spraying various chemicals.
- Work with the Lead Animal Care Technicians/Animal Care Technicians and other professionals to properly sanitize clan and feed animals.
Minimum Qualifications & Experience
- Up to one (1) year of experience working with domestic animals in an animal shelter, veterinary hospital or other animal facility is preferred. Bilingual in English/Spanish a plus.
- Must pass background check, physical examination, and drug screening.
- High School Graduate or GED
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
Kennel attendant’s daily work load is to ensure the most efficient and humane care for the animals at the shelter; knowledge of proper animal handling and cleaning techniques to avoid the spread of disease to the animals as well as employees and volunteers; knowledge of occupational hazards and safety practices necessary in the area of animal services.
- Should be mentally, emotionally and physically stable and have patience to deal with all types of animals.
- Loving and caring and should have basic understanding of animal handling and animal care.
- Ability to work in different work settings and handle all the assigned responsibilities individually
- Sound understanding of the hygiene to be maintained and ability to identify health issues with the animals.
While performing the duties of this class, employees are regularly required to talk or hear, in person and by telephone; sit; use and operate standard office equipment; each with hands and arms. Employees are frequently required to walk, run, stand, squat and kneel. Employees must have the ability to lift, restrain, vaccinate and move animals weighing up to 70 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this class. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee is exposed to diseased, injured and dangerous animals and wet or humid conditions, heat, cold, noise, odors, outdoors, and chemicals.
Starting Salary: Varies based on experience
Reports to: Lead Animal Care/Animal Care Technician
Are you interested in applying for this job?
- Download the Employment Application at www.friendsofuplandanimalshelter.org
- Complete the application, scan it, and send it with a copy of your resume, degree, and State license to: email@example.com
Position is Open Until Filled
Friends of Upland Animal Shelter Inc. is an equal opportunity employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, disability (mental or physical), gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, pregnancy, race, religion or creed, sex, sexual orientation, any other characteristic protected by law, or any other factor that is not related to the job. It is an objective of Friends of Upland Animal Shelter, Inc. to achieve a drug-free workplace. Any applicant selected for employment will be expected to behave in accordance with this objective because the use of illegal drugs is inconsistent with the law of the State, Federal and Local governing agencies.
Friends of Upland Animal Shelter| 909.931.4185 | 1275 San Bernardino Road, Upland CA 91786