CSU Fullerton Auxiliary Services
Under the general direction of the Living Collections Curator of the Fullerton Arboretum, the Horticulturist will assist in the care and maintenance of the Fullerton Arboretum’s 26 acres of plant collections.
Opening Date: 9/10/21
Closing Date: 10/17/21 11:59 PM
- Planting, watering, mulching, weeding, pruning, and fertilizing of plants and landscape features; applies pesticides and herbicides as needed
- Installation, maintenance and repair of irrigation systems
- Assist in botanical collections record-keeping
- Assist in developing plant lists for augmenting and updating garden areas
- Works closely with volunteers
- Interprets botanical and horticultural subjects to general public
- Repairs decomposed granite paths where necessary
- Performs plant propagation and assists with plant sale events
- Performs turf maintenance
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Strong knowledge of plants; ability to learn plants and their horticultural requirements
- Ability to safely and competently work with and operate hand and power tools, garden vehicles, and tractor
- Experience with, or ability to learn and use irrigation control systems
- Ability to work independently and in teams
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Valid driver’s license is required
- Obtain a California Department of Pesticide Regulation Qualified Applicator Certificate within six months of hire
- Education: College degree in horticulture or four (4) years equivalent work experience
- $16.00 - $19.00 Hourly
- Must be able to withstand long periods of bending, walking on uneven gravel
- Must be able to work outdoors, in a dusty environment prone to temperature variations,
and inclement weather
- Health, dental, vision, life/AD&D, health care flex plan, LTD, vacation, sick leave,
holiday, credit union, tuition reimbursement and retirement plan. All benefits will
be administered according to policies and/or procedures.
To be considered an applicant; you must apply through our online applicant portal found on the following site: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/csufasc If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Human Resources Representative at email@example.com or (657) 278-4117.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily
before any candidate can be offered a position with the ASC. Failure to satisfactorily
complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued
employment of current ASC employees who apply for the position. CSU Fullerton Auxiliary
Services Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability,
protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal,
state, or local law.
Note: CSUF/ASC follows the direction of the CSU Policy related to COVID-19 vaccination. See FAQ Vaccines for more information.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT: Cal State Fullerton
1121 North State College Blvd.
Fullerton, CA 92831