City of Hope
City of Hope is looking for a Research Support Technician (Animal Breeding)
City of Hope is an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
In addition to the tasks associated with animal care Research Support, Technicians and Specialists are responsible for performing tasks and procedures associated with managing the production of research animal breeding colonies, including: mating, weaning, animal identification, tissue biopsy, data collection, and communication with researchers using these services.
- Observes all animals in assigned work area and reports any sick, injured or distressed animals to an Animal Health Technician or the Clinical Veterinarian.
- Changes cages at scheduled intervals and whenever needed to support animal health and well being. Ensures animals have adequate food and water at all times.
- Follows breeding plan and mating schemes to meet animal production goals. Reports breeding issues promptly to Animal Breeding Supervisor or Coordinator.
- Performs tissue biopsy and animal identification in a timely manner.
- Weans, separates litters, and transfers animals for experimental use in a timely manner.
- Accurately documents breeding activities on cage cards and in the computerized breeding database in a timely manner.
- Effectively communicates with and responds to researcher requests for breeding colony information. Communicates with researchers on a regular basis to inform them of their colony status and any issues/questions that may arise.
- Documents daily husbandry and breeding activities in a computerized database.
- Monitors and documents animal holding room environment. Reports non-compliant environmental parameters and/or malfunctioning equipment to the Animal Care Supervisor or Facilities Manager.
- Maintains animal holding rooms and assigned support areas in a clean and orderly state.
- Sanitizes animal holding rooms and assigned support areas.
- Performs weekly animal census accurately and reconciles discrepancies in a timely manner in accordance with CCM/ACP policies.
- Performs rack changes and animal transfer station/biosafety cabinet maintenance as required.
- Restrains animals for various technical procedures such as subcutaneous or intraperitoneal injections. May assist with diagnostic sample collection such as blood or feces collection/
- Humanely euthanizes animals as requested or required.
- Provides technical services to investigators including mixing and dispensing special diets, medicating drinking water, providing special housing requirements or assisting with specific restraint and handling procedures.
- Performs other animal care/breeding related duties as required.
- Participates in training sessions, staff meetings, and continuing education activities.
- Interacts/establishes working relationships and communicates effectively and positively with research and Animal Resources Center staff.
- Attends meetings as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration: High School or equivalent.
- No animal breeding experience required; 2+ years experience working in a laboratory animal care or research veterinary technician position.
- AALAS ALAT certification.
- Current CA driver license.
- Preferred education, experience and skills: Strong interest in laboratory animal medicine.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
If interested, please apply at our City of Hope Application Website