Accounting and Finance Career Resources
Interested in a becoming a CPA?
The links below provide further information on the current requirements on how to become a CPA and more information on careers within the Accounting & Finance Industry.
- CPA New Licensing Requirements
- CPA Educational Requirements: Mt. SAC Accounting Courses
- AICPA.ORG - American institute of Certified Public Accountants
- This organization sets the standards and regulations for CPA’s. The local chapter is California society of CPA’s at CALCPA.org If you are considering an Accounting or Finance major, I highly recommend joining the CALCPA organization as a student member (there is a current promotion for free student membership!). The networking opportunities and benefits are tremendous. Further information is available on the website.
Are you more interested in becoming a CMA?
- IMANET.ORG - Institute of Managerial Accountants
- This organization sets standards and regulations for the CMA (Certified Managerial Accountant). The Inland Empire chapter (IMAIE) holds monthly meetings at the Hilton in Ontario. There are other local (regional) chapters that might better fit your needs. Go to the IMA website to locate a local chapter near you. The IMA (IMAnet.org) organization is comprised of business professionals from all industries, including, banking, accounting, financial planning, academia, entrepreneurs, real estate, executive recruiters, etc. I highly recommend attending meetings to gain further information about this organization. It is an excellent networking opportunity for students with great benefits for members.
Other Careers in Accounting
- CFE - Certified Fraud Examiner: Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- The world’s largest anti-fraud organization. This site provides information on how to become a CFE as well as the opportunities in the field.
- CFP.Net - Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards
- Visit this site for information about this professional designation.
- IRS.gov - Official IRS site
- Find out anything you want to know about the tax law, including how to become an Enrolled Agent working for the Federal Government.
- IIA.org - Institute of Internal Auditors
- A growing profession with numerous opportunities. Visit this website for information.
- www.dca.ca.gov/cba - California Board of Accountancy
- This organization governs CPA’s and creates and monitors CPA exams.
- ASWA.ORG - American institute of Women Accountants
- Excellent networking opportunity for women accountants.