The Computer Information Systems (CIS) Department originated from the Business
Education Department. In fall 1966 John Stubbe and Jerry Davis were
hired in the Business Education Department. The first real computer,
an IBM 1401, was acquired in the summer of 1967. In the fall of 1968
the first computer programming courses were taught in Fortran by a part-time instructor.
The Data Processing Department split off from the Business Education Department
in 1969. Microcomputers were introduced: an Altair, some Apple IIs
and TRS 80s. In 1980 the keypunch machines were eliminated along
with the introduction of the System 34, a midrange computer system (which had
less power than any of today’s desktop microcomputers). In the mid 80’s
the department was renamed to Computer Information Systems.
Courses and degrees have expanded to cover the fields of networking, database,
system security, and Web programming. The department, with support from a National
Science Foundation Advanced Technology Education grant developed the Regional
Information System Security Center (RISCC) in consortium with Cal Poly, Pomona.
CIS Department faculty includes Shui-Lien Huang (1989),
Mary Johnson (1996), Vic Zamora (1997), Jim Gau (1998), Jaishri Mehta(1999),
Anna Degtyareva (1999), Barry Andrews (2000), and John Blyzka (2000).
Along with Mr. Stubbe and Mr. Davis the retired
faculty are Marvin Gore, Mary Pavlovich, Julia Bradley, Larry Brown, Phil Barnhart,
and Anita Millspaugh-Alcantara. Also, Rich Patterson has moved on to assume duties
as Associate Dean of the Business Division.
The department continues to meet with an industry advisory committee to update
the curriculum to meet current needs.
Send questions or comments about this Web site to the
Web Content Manager
Use of this Web server is subject to the Mt. San Antonio College