Joe does not care to learn the concepts, he is
doing homework because he just wants the points. He can't do his
without constantly looking at his notes/textbook. He is not
in LEARNING from his mistakes while doing homework. DON'T BE LIKE JOE!.
He is not going to pass Chemistry!
Before you start doing your homework...
Review all concepts in your notes first. Does
it make sense to you? Use the textbook to supplement the notes. Go over
examples in your notes and the textbook. Do you know what is going on?
If yes, you are now ready to do homework problems.
- Never miss a class intentionally. Don't be late. Your job of
textbook is much harder if you don't show up for class.
- Learn to study smarter and not harder. There is a way to spend
time studying and greater results.
- Study more frequent and for shorter periods of time (ex. 4-5
1-2 hours/night). Remember, if you exercise your body can't take 8
in one day. If you take any medication, you will end up in a hospital
you take all your pills in one shot. If you study, your brain can't
more that 2 hours per day!
- Maximize your understanding, minimize your memorization. Try to
concepts to your life experiences.
- Take complete and clear notes in the classroom.
- Get enough sleep. Eat healthy and avoid any drug (caffein,
alcohol, nicotine, etc.) dependencies. Listen to your body!
- Review your lecture notes soon after lecture when all ideas are
- The question that you consider stupid may be a very important one
your learning. Ask it anyway.
- Learn from your mistakes and do not bury them. Observe your quiz
mistakes very carefully.
- Help each other. Form a functional study group with your
Small groups of 2-3 are better.
- Don't socialize when you should be focused on your goal and
- Never procrastinate.
<>Do your homework in the spirit of learning and the good grade
does not work in the reverse order. Even if you get a good grade
without true learning, you can't be creative and will miss many life
- Wherever you are, be there! Don't miss the present
Practice being fully aware of the present moment!
- Keep your work, social life and school work in balance.
- Think about pursuing a life goal that energizes your soul and
happy independent of the money, power and fame it may bring to your
Success will follow a happy individual but happiness may not follow a
Master The Art of Learning: Dancing with your Books, The Zen Way of
Studying, J. J. Gibbs, Penguin Books, 1990
Back to Home
[Mt SAC Home Page]