The Mt. SAC Writing Center now offers free online writing tutoring for all Mt. SAC students. On this page, you will find detailed instructions regarding registration for, scheduling of, and access to online tutorial sessions. If you have any questions, please feel free to call our front desk at (909) 274-5325 or email gehringAT_mtsac.edu.
Fall 2017 Online Tutoring Hours
Monday - Thursday: 4:00 P.M. - 9:00 P.M.
Friday - Saturday: Closed
Sunday: 11:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
I. Register for Online Tutoring
NOTE: You must register each semester (at least 24 hours prior to your first appointment) in order access the Writing Center's online tutoring services.
- Log into your Mt. SAC Portal account at inside.mtsac.edu. Turn off Popup Blockers and Do Not Use Internet Explorer.
- Click the “Student” tab
- Under the "Student Self Service" channel, click on "Register (add or drop) Classes."
- Make sure the correct term is selected from the drop down menu, and click the “Submit” box.
- On the bottom of the page, enter the CRN number 24812 into the first box and click on the “Submit Changes” box.
You should now be registered!
II. Schedule an appointment for online tutoring
- Go to our online appointment book, WC Online.
- If you are new to WC Online, you will need to set up your account. Just click where it says "First visit? Click here to register" in the mid-left side of the screen.
- Once you have created your account, login, go to the drop-down menu at the top of the screen, and select the Online Tutoring Schedule.
- Any white box represents an available appointment slot. Choose the appointment time you would like, fill in the necessary form information, and click "Save" at the bottom of the screen.
Your appointment should now be scheduled!
III. Enter into your online tutoring session
Sign into your Mt. SAC Portal Account. (Make sure to turn off Pop-up blockers)
Click on the "eLearning Resources" link
Click the "Sign on to Mt. SAC Canvas" link
Select the "BS-TR01-24812 All Subject Tutoring" course link
Select "Online Tutoring" from the menu options
Click on the tutorial "room" with your name on it
Drag and drop your PDF file (or text) into the Whiteboard software interface
You should now be able to access the Tutorial Room with your name on it!
What document types will work for online tutoring?
The WorldWide WhiteBoard platform that we use is designed for use with multiple formats (including the ability highlight/drag text from a variety of document types), but we would prefer you "arrive" to your online tutorial session prepared to upload a .PDF version of the writing you would like to work on.
Is online tutoring different than face-to-face tutoring?
Well, not really. The main difference between regular and online tutoring is where the actual tutoring happens. Regular tutoring happens in the Writing Center. Online tutoring can happen anywhere you have a computer and Internet access. That's right! You no longer have to come into the actual Writing Center to get tutoring (unless you want to). When it comes to how the tutor works with you, it is the same as face-to-face tutoring. Our online tutors can help with any stage of the writing process and any writing related questions you may have.
Can an online tutor help me with my DLA?
Absolutely! Many of our DLAs have been designed so that you are able to complete them from home. Just make sure that if you want to see a tutor online that you complete all of your work on the DLA Word file (and then convert it to a .pdf file). We look forward to "seeing" you online!