EDC Minutes for August 31, 2000, 9D-5, 11:00 – 12:30 p.m.
Comments / Outcome
- New member, Glen Vice, was welcomed to the Educational Delivery Committee.
|Meetings and Members
- EDC was reorganized during Spring 2000 semester and changed from the Distance
Learning Committee. The EDC will be the forum for the following programs to report
to: Online Learning, TV, Weekend Business College, Study Abroad, Honors, Work
Experience, Service Learning, After School College, Summer Bridge, Freshman
Experience, 2 + 2, Langford, and Supplemental Instruction. Meetings are held on the
2nd and 4th Thursday of each month, and representatives from these programs will
come to the meeting on the 4th Thursday. A letter was sent inviting these
representatives to the meeting on September 28, and a reminder letter will also be
- EDC members who are teaching an online class shared how their first two weeks of
the fall semester went. Tom McFarland noted that he has observed a distinct
difference in his hybrid class between the on-campus and online students.
- Terri Beam will be co-chair of the EDC and faculty liaison representative for the
2000-01 academic year.
|Academic Senate Report
- Terri will be giving EDC reports at each Academic Senate meeting. To address the Technology Support Resolution
00-09 which was approved by the Academic Senate on 4/13/00, Terri proposed a task
list for the following areas:
- EDC report which replaces Program Review
- Assessment and/or evaluation of existing online courses
- Training/mentoring programs
- Academic Senate liaisons.
- Kerry Stern, Virginia Bohr, and Terri met regarding assessment of online
teaching for the 1999 Summer Sessions and Fall Semester, and 2000 Spring Semester
and Summer Sessions. The four topics
comprising the assessment will be:
- A comparison of online vs. on-campus teaching.
- Does it make a difference what time of day courses are offered?
- Are hybrid (online-supported) courses doing better than online?
- In regards to success and retention, is one term for students more
successful than any other term?
|Online Courses Update
- The EDC will pursue the idea of an Online Fair or Open House with the goal of
increasing interest in online teaching.
- Much discussion. Dwight will design an electronic form for faculty. Open Haunted
House will be Monday - Thursday, October 30 - November 2, from 1:00 - 4:00 p.m. A
sign-up sheet will be distributed at the next EDC meeting. Glen Vice suggested using
the words "technology" and "support" in advertising.
- Bonnie Jeffers reviewed online course, BUSO 5, Business English. Course was
- In her absence, Kerry reviewed for Andrea Diem the online course, PHIL 5, World
Religions. Course was approved.