BOG Fee Waiver
The California Community College Board of Governors Fee Waiver
Mt. SAC students, like all California community college students, are eligible for the California Community College Board of Governors Fee Waiver (BOGW). The BOGW waives the enrollment fee and provides a reduced cost for health and parking fees for qualified California students. About three-fourths of our students benefit from this program.
Before you apply for the BOGW
- You must be a continuing student at Mt. SAC or have already submitted your application to Mt. SAC.
- You must be a California resident.
- You should complete and submit the FAFSA or CA Dream Act application.
How to apply for BOGW
- You may apply for a BOGW at any point during the academic year.
- You must reapply for a BOGW each year, beginning with the summer term.
- If you are determined eligible for a BOGW, it will be valid for the entire academic year.
- Complete and submit the FAFSA or CA Dream Act application, or
- Apply by going to the BOGW Application Page.
Note: Your BOG Fee Waiver application will be processed within 2 business days after being received by the Financial Aid Office.
Qualifying for the BOGW
There are three ways a student may qualify for the BOGW. The items listed below are checked and verified through your FAFSA, CA Dream Act, or BOGW application.
- A student is currently a recipient of funds from TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families), SSI (Supplemental Security Income), or GA/GR (General Assistance/General Relief), or, if the student is a dependent, such funds are the sole source of income for the family. Students must provide a current copy of their check or an Untaxed Income Verification form.
- Household size and annual family income: The application may ask students to provide documentation of income, such as a copy of their Federal Income Tax Return. Students are required to provide documentation if it is requested.
- A student has applied for other state and/or federal aid and has demonstrated $1,104 or more of financial need by completing the FAFSA or California Dream Act Application. This is how most students qualify for the BOGW, as most students that do not qualify for a fee waiver based on items 1 or 2. We highly recommend all students to submit a FAFSA or California Dream Act application as this is the most likely way to qualify for the BOGW.
NOTE: Since verification of eligibility may involve contact with other agencies, parental signature, or other documents, your application may not be completed on the same day it is submitted. However, our turn around time is usually within 48 hours.
Maintaining Eligibility for BOGW
Once you’ve qualified for the BOG Fee Waiver, it’s important to ensure that you’re meeting the academic and progress standards in order to avoid losing the fee waiver.