NetTutor Info for Faculty
As of Fall 2016, all students are eligible to use free online tutoring services through NetTutor. NetTutor is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all currently enrolled Mt. SAC students. NetTutor online tutoring is available in most major subjects such as Math, English, Science, Social Science. Students in any subject can receive tutoring help with papers.
NetTutor information for students can be found here.
Faculty Rules Of Engagement Faculty have the option to provide Rules of Engagement (ROE) to NetTutor regarding the help that is made available to students in the course. If no rules are provided, standard rules apply within NetTutors code of conduct. To set specific rules for tutors in your course, contact Dr. Emilia Garofalo (NetTutor Manager). For more info on ROE, see sample ROEs for live tutoring and paper review.
Setting Up NetTutor
In Fall 2016, NetTutor is available to all currently enrolled Mt. SAC students. NetTutor is accessed through the LMS in which your course is hosted (Moodlerooms or Canvas). Most Mt. SAC students will access NetTutor through Moodlerooms, but those participating in the OEI pilot courses hosted in Canvas will access NetTutor in Canvas.
- Log in to Moodlerooms through the Mt. SAC portal (available on the "eLearning Resources" tab).
- Under "My courses" on the right, select the appropriate Moodlerooms course.
- Navigate to the topic, week, or folder where you wish for NetTutor to appear (perhaps in the top, Topic Zero). Select "Add an activity and resource," or "Add an activity" (depending on your settings).
- Select "General Tool" under External Tools in the list of Activities to add to your course.
- Name the activity using a name that will be clear to students. You can call it Net Tutor. Here I have named it "Free Online Tutoring Service."
- In the pull-down menu under "External tool type," select NetTutor.
- Now your students can access expert online tutors for your course. An entry using the name I used above would look like this in a Moodlerooms course:
NetTutor is available to all courses through Canvas, but it needs to be enabled on the navigation course menu. To do so simply go to Settings in the course menu, and then click on the Navigation tab. Drag the NetTutor item to the visible navigation menu to make NetTutor available to students.
Having trouble setting NetTutor up in your course?
Here is the PDF tutoring guide with suggestions and message templates to announce to your students and remind them of this free service at key moments in the semester. You can also visit the California Community Colleges Chancellor's office to find out more about this tutoring service and other faculty resources that the CCCC is making available to community colleges in California. The handbook contains links to videos that are specifically for faculty, as well as information on how to communicate with NetTutor, including providing course content to tutors and specifying rules of engagement for students in your courses.
NetTutor information for Students
Here is the student page with information for how students can access NetTutor, including videos they can watch to learn how to use NetTutor. Feel free to visit this page and watch the videos to learn more about the program. Please provide a link to this page to your students to support their access and use of NetTutor.
Faculty can watch this video for an introduction to NetTutor. Also the tutoring guide and the student page has more videos and details about the NetTutor service.