Mt. SAC & the Online Education Initiative (OEI)
Mt. SAC is one of the pilot colleges participating in the OEI. The Online Education Initiative (OEI) has several components, which includes faculty resources, student success resources, and technology resources.
OEI has developed and released online readiness tools that are freely available to all CA community colleges to help students assess how well prepared they are for taking online courses.
- A 60-member OEI panel selected Canvas as the Common Course Management System (CCMS, interchangeable term with LMS) in which all online course exchange courses will be taught
- As the CCMS, Canvas is available subsidized for free through 2019 (guaranteed), and is expected to be subsidized at free or substantially lowered cost into the future.
OEI Course Rubric
OEI has developed and released a course rubric that is openly available and defines the criteria for courses in the exchange.
Online Course Exchange
OEI is creating an online course exchange in which any CA community college can participate (Mt. SAC is currently participating as a pilot school in this program).
Additional Free Tools & Resources
OEI is making additional technology available with no strings attached to adoption of other aspects of the program. This includes access to the following tech tools:
- As of Fall 2016, online tutoring through NetTutor is available for FREE to all currently enrolled Mt. SAC students. Click here or on logo for more information on NetTutor.
- A cloud-based plagiarism detection tool that's fully integrated into the campus LMS. Currently available for both Canvas and Moodlerooms.
- Academic Test proctoring through the popular service Proctorio. For more information click here.
- Academic counseling through the Cranium Cafe platform. Click here for more information about Cranium Cafe.
Interested in trying any of these tools in your course(s)? Join the Faculty Center in Canvas to learn more!