California Work Opportunities and Responsibility to Kids
The CalWORKs program provides educational/training assistance to students who receive cash-aid through TANF, including self-initiated participants (SIPs) and GAIN referrals. The program assists students in entering the workforce at the highest level possible, and in developing a personal career ladder leading to increased self-sufficiency and individual growth. Support services include counseling, educational advising,progress monitoring, job development and placement, post employment, childcare, work-study, and case management.
To enroll in the Mt. SAC CalWORKs program, you:
- must be a current recipient of TANF
- must have or developing a Welfare-to-Work Plan
- can be Self-Initiated Program (SIP); can be Exempt TANF recipients with an educational plan
- must have a dependent child under the age of 18, living at home
- must be enrolled in credit or non-credit classes at Mt. SAC
How to apply:
Please call the Mt. SAC CalWORKs Program at (909) 274-4755 for an appointment. You will be required to show verification of current TANF benefit and your current class schedule. You can also visit the CalWORKs office located in the Student Services Building (9B), next to EOPS.
What's expected from a CalWORKs student?
- Maintain a 2.00 GPA
- Meet the 20/30/35 hour county approved program of activities
- Comply with Department of Public Social Services and CalWORKs/GAIN guidelines
We’re Here To Help!
The Mt. SAC CalWORKs Program can help you with the following:
- Prepare and assist with transferring requirements to a university
- Enroll in Basic Skills Classes
- Enroll in short term and long term training programs
- Participate in the CalWORKs Work Study program (limited - first come, first serve)
- Completion of county paperwork
- Completion of childcare paperwork
- Assistance with books, supplies and fees
Important CalWORKs Links