CLASSROOM TESTING PROCEDURES
For Mt. San Antonio College professors' convenience, Accessibility Resource Centers for Students (ACCESS) offers an alternative testing location for students with disabilities who require accommodations. This is to assist the professor with the legally mandated responsibility to provide alternative testing locations and accommodations for students with disabilities. However, if preferred, the professor may give the exam to the student under his or her personal supervision as long as the student's authorized accommodations are provided. These accommodations may include, but are not limited to, extended time, distraction-reduced environment, reader and/or scribe, as necessary. If the professor prefers to have students take their exams in the ACCESS Office, the following conditions apply:
- Students are required to make appointments at least 48 hours in advance to take their classroom exams in ACCESS to allow ACCESS to locate appropriate personnel to proctor, scribe and/or read the exam. Note: Students will no longer be allowed to take their exams at the ACCESS Office without scheduling an appointment for their exam(s) at least 48 hours in advance.
- Exams may be emailed as an attachment to accesstestingAT_mtsac.edu, dropped off to the ACCESS office by the professor, sent with the student (in a sealed envelope), or the professor may call ACCESS (extension 4290) to have a ACCESS staff member pick up the exam. Exams sent through the campus mail may be lost or delayed. Therefore, ACCESS does not recommend using this method.
- ACCESS recommends using the blue ACCESS Test Instructions form developed for the professors' convenience to outline specific instructions for the exam to be administered.
- When ACCESS receives a classroom exam with instructions approving accommodations, those instructions will be compared to the Authorization For Accommodations form in the student's file. If the instructions vary from the form, the professor and the ACCESS professional recommending the accommodation will be notified to determine the appropriate accommodations for that student.
- If a test arrives in the ACCESS office without written instructions from the professor, ACCESS staff will attempt to contact the professor by telephone or email to obtain instructions. If this is not successful, the student will be sent to locate the professor either in the classroom or in their office to obtain written instructions. If this is not successful, the exam will then be held until we are able to make contact with the professor for clarification.
- ACCESS staff will proctor all exams administered at the ACCESS Office.
- Completed exams will be sealed in an envelope and will either be delivered or held in ACCESS locked files until the professor picks up the exam as per the instructions on the blue ACCESS Testing Instructions form. Note: All completed mathematics exams are automatically delivered to the white lock box in the Math Department Office as per agreement between the Math Department and ACCESS.
- Quizzes are subject to the same process and procedures as outlined for exams above. For Pop Quizzes please call our office to make prior arrangements so we can accommodate the student.
We appreciate your cooperation and if you have any questions or concerns please feel free to call our office at (909) 274-4290 or email at accesstestingAT_mtsac.edu.