Human Resources Launched Process
Improvements to Better Serve Employees
Process improvements, key recruitments, and contract negotiations topped the list of priorities for the Office of Human Resources during FY11. These process improvements made benefits information and services more conveniently accessible and tractable for the college’s 2,124 full- and part-time employees and facilitated the department’s efficiency goals.
Following are major achievements for the year:
- Facilitated the hiring process for 94 positions across the college, including the President & CEO position as well as 22 faculty, 7 management, 60 classified, and 5 supervisory positions;
- Negotiated a collective bargaining agreement with the Faculty Association, which resulted in a 2% salary increase plus a $755 annual increase to the District’s contribution toward faculty health benefits;
- Implemented a retirement incentive program for all employee groups as a budget costcutting measure (47 employees accepted the retirement offer);
- Expanded HR team to include an Equal Employment Opportunity Director, HR Analyst, and Benefits Specialist;
- Established guidelines for the appointment of EEO representatives on all hiring committees, and offered EEO training campuswide;
- Achieved 99% participation in mandatory sexual harassment online training for managers;
- Expanded efforts to reach out to military veterans for job opportunities—fully utilizing online resources, such as VetJobs.com, VeteransInHigherEd.com, and HireVeterans.com;
- Made significant progress in upgrading the PeopleAdmin HR software used to facilitate the online employment application process (entails expanded reporting options for tracking recruitment data);
- Updated the college’s benefits website to make it easier for employees to access their benefits information;
- Launched a more efficient online open enrollment process for employee benefits to ensure efficient and timely reporting to the CalPERS system;
In addition, the HR team continues to review and update recruitment processes to ensure compliance with state and federal statutes. We also seek out, evaluate and implement best practices to maintain currency with HR industry standards in an effort to hire and retain the best employees for Mt. SAC.